My second

tedinatl

Posted this in the "Custom knives" forum as well, but thought I'd get some maker's input as well.

I completed my second knife a couple of days ago (sans sharpening). The intention is for it to be a little utility knife for my father in law. Knowing that he isn't going to actually carry the knife around on his belt, I decided to rather make a leather storage box for it than an actual sheath with a belt loop - let me know what you think of the idea.

Knife specs:
Steel: O1
OAL: 7 in
Blade length: 3 1/2 in
Scales: Brazilian Walnut
Pins: Mosaics I made myself (left over from my first knife. I know they suck - have to work on that some more)
Heat treating: Done by Peter's
Storage box: 9 oz veg tanned leather stained antique brown

You might also notice that I put my maker's mark on the spine. I had the stencil made by Ernie (great guy to deal with, BTW), and used a simple 9V battery/crocodile clips/cotton wool pads/small steel plate etcher to etch the logo. Worked out really well, I think!

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

Any comments/suggestions/thoughts (good or bad) are always appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Pieter, I ordered a stencil from a guy here in Florida (Ernie Grospitch (sp)). I then simply used a regular 9V battery and hooked up a couple of crocodile clips to it, and clipped the + to the blade, and used a small, flat piece of tool steel wrapped in cotton wool and moistened (not drenched) with salt water (about 1 tsp dissolved in a 1/4 glass) clipped to the - clip, and then press it firmly down on the stencil (which is obviously taped to the blade) for 3 minutes (hardened steel - or 1 minute for annealed steel). A little polishing afterwards, and voila - mark etched! Very simple a cheap!

Man are you going to have a happy pa-in-law. The knife looks good but I'm blown away by that case. That has to be one of the classiest pieces I've seen in a while.

Carey

I have to agree with Carey. Great lookin knife and I love the leather box.

I agree too, nice looking knife, and the leather box - looks really cool!!
Nice work

Rick

The Brazilian walnut handle looks great! I was thinking of using some on a kitchen knife modification, but ended up using birdseye maple. After seeing the Brazilian walnut on your knife, I'll definitely use some for handle material. What type of finish did you put on it?

I picked up some of it at a building materials recycling place in San Francisco. I found it in the form of flooring scrap. Its also where I got my birdseye maple.

Ric

I put a CA (cyanoacralyte - sp?) finish on it. 5 layers of medium flow CA sanded down to 2000 grit in between, and then tung oil to finish it off.

Great find on the birsdeye and the Brazilian walnut. It is hard as nails, but finishes off very nicely.

Back