Help me with the rest of my KITH Knife desighn

Gahagan

I have ground out a blade and decided to use it for the KITH. as of now it is 18" long made of 3/16" S30v. What I want is some designs drawn for this blade. I will then post up the designs and have them voted on and the winning design will be what I make for the KITH. I feel by allowing input will make this a good knife for someone to receive. Here is the rough ground knife so far. I want this to be a fun experience, so lets get to designing.
DSC_0172.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Looks really good so far. I think a stag Taper would look good. Sry I can't draw to save my life lol
Just wanted to comment on how good it looks.
~EP

I have gone between a stag handle, a framed handle and a standard wood or ivory handle.

no one has any ideas? I can finish it on my won I just figured some input would make it a more enjoyable experience and a more appropriate knife for a Knife Dog KITH since it was partially designed by fellow Knife Dogs. Please let me know if I stepped over the bounds or if I am asking too much I just enjoy input from other knife makes and enthusiast.

I have gone between a stag handle, a framed handle and a standard wood or ivory handle.

Ivory always looks rich and clean,but you can't go wrong with stag ,a framed or standard wood looks good LOL Did that help
LOL

Framed handle is how I would go mainly cause that is what I want to try for my next project. But in my opinion your blade would be ideally suited. not sure if I would take it al the way to ivory depending on the piece , it would almost wash out the whole piece unless it was ancient and had some color/texture to it. A well shaper/designed gaurd maybe carved/sculpted and some file worked liners on that frame would be awesome.
Chris

Cool!! KITH pics already.
Thats going to be a great looking knife.

As for the design, IMHO stag is done to death. I would go with a frame and to me that knife would look great with some spalted maple or buckeye burl, anything with alot "movement". Maybe a lazy "S" gaurd.

Sean

Cool!! KITH pics already.
Thats going to be a great looking knife.

As for the design, IMHO stag is done to death. I would go with a frame and to me that knife would look great with some spalted maple or buckeye burl, anything with alot "movement". Maybe a lazy "S" gaurd.

Sean

I've been lookin at over and over and I agree with Sean,a frame with a nice wood,buckeye or Desert ironwood.
Stan

no one has any ideas? I can finish it on my won I just figured some input would make it a more enjoyable experience and a more appropriate knife for a Knife Dog KITH since it was partially designed by fellow Knife Dogs. Please let me know if I stepped over the bounds or if I am asking too much I just enjoy input from other knife makes and enthusiast.

Wait!! Dont give up...I have some ideas give me time to load them in a jpeg form.....I think that is what makes this hard, but what a great idea Gahagan......I am thinking stupid simple for the handle nothing fancy with a gaurd that is in the shape of a boat thingy,,,,that you tie off the boat with. You wrap around the metal piece on the boat, then tie off to the dock....oh dont give up yet...I'll be back in a sec. and I am trying a new shape for a blade the allows for strong pushing don't for chopping...anyway.....I'll be back LOL

Here is my .02 cents

OK I put some pics on Jpeg. they are just ideas and a few are what has allowed me to be "Known">? in a small circle, I guess it's because of the simple look? I will try anything for a handle! I have experimented with hickory and oak Hickory Pro Series4.jpgwhich have not let me down. Good enough for grandpa's axe it's good enough for my knife. I burn my oak and don't use guards with my strong woods, I also love cutlery rivets for a new old look. Oak-Handles-Cutlery-Rivets.jpg I also love Cocobolo and Bocote All these woods are strong as heck and beautiful polished out naturally....with a few trade secrets.Buck-119-Cocobolo-Handle.jpg The shape of guard I see possibly on yours is shown on the boot knife below....Simple and easy. That's the boat looking thingy that holds the boat to the dock??? crazy-gaurd.jpgI will not tell you that is a bathroom towel hanger for a guard. Last I have experimented with my "Hump Knives" although your knife is not concave as mine but the Humps allow two hands to push or hold the knife and for some reason I find them ergonomic.three-humps.jpg OK these are a few of my secret ideas, LOL. I say no stag stupid simplestupid-simple.jpg and don't use a guard if your going with a strong wood. Try some oak or hickory different stupid and simple!!!??? Cool These are just ideas and I think what you are doing is great!!!!! Can't wait!!! This is fun!

Well this didnt go quite as planned so I moved on with it. I have started a framed handle and am planning on making it a takedown model. I hope it turns out well. I will put up a WIP thread soon.

Well this didnt go quite as planned so I moved on with it. I have started a framed handle and am planning on making it a takedown model. I hope it turns out well. I will put up a WIP thread soon.

Cant wait to see. A takedown would be cool.

Sean

Back