Good damascus

Sometimes it can be difficult until you HT and temper . Also look for visable flaw and delamination . Knowing and trusting the maker also helps ! A maker will usually not finish the billet ie: surface grind , etch and basically make it look good visually if its junk , but not always .

Buy from a known and respected American maker. Delbert Ealy, Deker, Chad Nichols, Ironarms, and myself all make good damascus. Also price is a good indicator. My prices are competitive but still cost three times more than imported damascus. This is because when your making good damascus you loose a LOT of material. Depending on the pattern you will loose 40% to 85% of the starting material. Also making high quality damascus triples the time needed to produce a bar.

I have some outstanding damascus and its made in Japan , Using hitachi steels . There are also some very good makers in the UK . I also make damascus , here is large piece I made from 2 - 400 layer damascus billets forge welded to a core of 52100 actually it's sanmai damascus. the damascus is made from 1095 15n20 1084 some nickel for contrast. I call it vinegar and oil . made specificly for hocho ( kitchen knives ).large enough for 2 big blades . Cost is about 175 $ for a big one like this . It has been cut in half for 2 knives I am going to forge .

Last edited:
Both these guy are "right" damascus is fun to make ,but even some of the best billets have a evil "flaw" inside , not seen until you grind a blade, So you want someone who will help you if you do get a flaw , thats one of the biggest fears of a maker, at least for me. Selling something and not knowing. i used to never sell my damascus because of that fear,but it happens so little these days , after years of making, that i sell now but the fear is always there just because you just can't look inside and tell. No one wants to look bad with a flaw.Both bubba-san and Dan are great makers and stand behind their stuff ,as do I . Hope that helps ,maybe to mush info. about our fears LOL LOL but its all art and even the best have a bad billet now and then but where good to each other, and it all works out .So what I'm saying is don't think the maker is bad just because the evil damascus Gods attack one of the Billets LOL They'll make it right at least the Dogs will i'm sure . bubba's right heat treating and etching has alot to do with how your billet turns out and how it looks ,damascus turns darker where it is hardened and people who don't use damascus alot don't know how to handle it "the look" and think it the makers fault . all in all it's great to work with. I love it .and learn every time i play and sometimes cry but its worth it .

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I love the look of it and after a bunch of practice on individual steel knives for friends I want to make myself one from Damascus. That's a nice looking piece Bubba-san, when talking with makers of the stuff can you order special patterns and metals?

Roger, There are alot of great makers of damascus. from all around the world.. Just happens to be some of the BEST are from the USA! :)

Most makers have any number of patterns they can recreate.. Yet each one is still unique and awesome! Goo d luck and have fun!

Back