Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show???

Ankrom Exotics

Forum Owner & Moderator
Just wondering if anyone here has done (or attended) this show. I'm looking for a few more shows to put on my calendar and this one looks like it has potential.

It's supposed to be the largest gun show in the world but how many knifemakers display there? Is there a decent customer base for a supplier?

It's only a tank of gas away and the tables are reasonably priced but in this economy a little research is warranted.

Any comments regarding this show would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I set up their for the first time in Feb. I will also set up again this November. Several of oklahoma guys were set up there, some are on this forum so maybe they will chime in. I sold knives and the two other knifemakers I sat with all sold knives. None of the others I talked to had any complaints. I think there are so many people that run through there, that you'll find a customer. I was selling hunting knives in the 2 to 300 range and a friend behind me was selling very high end knives and not having any problems selling. All this and the fact I like guns makes it a show I like.

It's difficult to describe. I've never seen anything like it before.

Many knifemakers and knifemaking suppliers there.

Last I heard, it was difficult to even get a table.

BC

Well I'm looking for an excuse to come down and meet Bill, I think I'll look into doing the April 20010 show. I was just looking through the pictures on the gun shows site and it looks like a good time. If there's a few more here on this fourm we could have our first meet & greet :D

Two sub-forum forum members STR and SDS are in OK. jawilliams90210 is up the road in Joplin MO. Mike Miller and 45warrior are less than an hour away.

Plus a bunch of guys in Arkansas and Kansas.

I know there are more folks in the area I do not know yet.

:)

2thumbs

yea!

Last edited:
Looks like I missed my opportunity to get a table for the November show. There are no longer any left.

Looks like I'll have to try to reserve one for the April show.

I will gladly take on host responsibilities if an April 2010 "meet and greet" becomes a reality: airport shuttle, maybe a little shop demo here at my home by some more experienced makers (hint hint). It's not a big town so navigation and travel time anywhere is easy.

There is a Microtel accross the parking lot from the main entrance.

I live 3.5 miles from the Quick Trip Center where the show is held.

I'm in.

BC

Bill sounds like a great idea! Maybe some of us could go in halves on some tables to help each other. This might help with money situation for some. Then we could get more dogs there. Just a thought.

I can tell you that the show is close to 4100 tables no matter what he publishes. The first eight rows from the dropoff is where most of the knifemakers are concentrated. I have a table at row6 section c table 8. You can expect on a good day over 10,000 people thru the door. Sales were good this spring despite everyone carrying off all the ammo they could get. First time I EVER saw a guy with a grocery shopping cart going down the aisle. It actually starts on Friday at 1 pm when tables are able to be set up. He has sent out a nasty notice this time that you cannot leave before 4 PM on Sunday or you will possibly loose your table for the next round. There have even been chartered buses from Minnesota and Wisconsin come down for the two day affair. The only thing I REALLY don't like about the show was that Texas Knifemakers Supply did notcome this spring and I FINALLY found Jantz set up on the sloped ramp going down to the lower level. It is 11 acres under one roof so if you come to see wear good shoes and expect a fast 6 hours just to walk through the tables.

I looked at their website and the one thing that struck me was how cheap tables were compared to big knife shows. You wouldn't have to sell much to make back your show fee.

I looked at their website and the one thing that struck me was how cheap tables were compared to big knife shows. You wouldn't have to sell much to make back your show fee.

I agree, plus it's fairly close to home, so gas isn't as big of a deal as the bigger knife shows.

If ya'll do any sort of hammerin get together I'd like to join ya'll.

I have done the show a couple times, was selling slip joints.

Did not do that great, fixed blade - hunting knives probably do a lot better.
And tactical.

It is a huge show with people, a lot of them have been going there for years and still have not seen a custom knife.:eek:
You will not see it all in one weekend, just to much stuff there.

Good show, be careful someone usually gets shot once a year.....:mad:unsure

TA

now Todd they only shoot the ones from Kansas or Arkansas. yes two people have been shot due to idiots( actually dealers who didn't check chambers). But none in the last two years. They have been super cautious about tie banding hammers and actions.

Les,

The place is full of guns, and well you know some folks don't have any business mess'n with them. But?????/ :rolleyes:

A lot of them appreciate a good knife, but they will spend most their cash on guns at that time..... :mad:

And like I said, make a good hunter, skinner price it right - your good to go!

And it is good show to see, even if ya not selling.

Todd

I have done the show a couple times, was selling slip joints.

Did not do that great, fixed blade - hunting knives probably do a lot better.
And tactical.

It is a huge show with people, a lot of them have been going there for years and still have not seen a custom knife.:eek:
You will not see it all in one weekend, just to much stuff there.

Good show, be careful someone usually gets shot once a year.....:mad:unsure

TA

I remember a firearm being discharged last year at a gun show here in Tulsa. I do not remember someone actually being shot.

Did I miss it?

BC

now Todd they only shoot the ones from Kansas or Arkansas. yes two people have been shot due to idiots( actually dealers who didn't check chambers). But none in the last two years. They have been super cautious about tie banding hammers and actions.

You are right Mike, just saying...... becareful...... :rolleyes:

It IS A VERY GOOD SHOW! You all need to see it at least once. 2thumbs

Todd

Back