Gravity knife

C

criticalbass

Hi. I am new here. Have custody of an old gravity knife (I think). Belongs to the mom of my neighbor and I told her I would see if it had any significant value.

Paper is regular printer paper in the pictures to give scale. Can't find anything written anywhere on it.

Anybody know what it is and if so, what it might be worth?

Thanks. criticalbass

P1010110.jpg

P1010109.jpg

P1010108.jpg

P1010107.jpg

It looks similar to the WWll auto knives issued to paratroopers for cutting their chutes loose, or other small knife chores.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if they made a civilian model of that pattern or if maybe a former soldier possjbly had his "customized". I would be interested in knowing the story behind this one as well. Deffinately a unique piece.

I helped the mom of a neighbor set up a garage sale. Most of the stuff belonged to her late husband, and the knife was in with a bunch of well used fishing stuff. So, no history available other than that. It looked to me like something that would bring five bucks in a garage sale, and I told her I would research it and see if it was worth much more than that.

It looks like a factory production item to me. The loop serves as both a release and a lock. Thanks for the input. criticalbass

I would not let it go, period, until you verify it's origins...as you might be practically giving away a nice collectors item.

I don't know what it is, but I wouldn't let it go for $5. Heck, I'd give her $20 plus shipping just to throw it a drawer of old knives I have. I'd recommend doing the research.

Back