Rebuilt Corkscrew opener in Black Walnut

BRad704

This has a bit of a knife blade on it, so I guess this is about the best section to put this thread...

I started with an el Cheap-o opener just to see what I could do with it... Really this came from a conversation on another forum because a guy bought his girlfriend/sommolier a really nice corkscrew...

Archer, if you see this thread, yes, this is more of what you sent me. :) I really like this stuff!

2010-12-28%2008.21.52.jpg

Here's what I've come up with from those pieces... and hours and hours of sanding... IF I were to do this "for real", I would make my own blade and pivot arm thingy and also use real pins and pivots, but this was a great proof of concept for me... I was also limits on size and shape due to the original liners. If I were to make it all myself, I wouldnt have that limitation...

Oiled several times with Gun Oil to bring out the color and grain...

2010-12-29%2021.38.09.jpg

2010-12-29%2021.37.46.jpg

2010-12-29%2021.37.22.jpg

Thanks, and not usually... But I took vacation days yesterday and today since all 4 kids are with us until school starts back. My wife was upstair sleeping (sick) and the kids were on the Wii... THAT equals free time for Brad...

I cut the old pins out after I got the plastic cover/handle off... The new pins are just some different sizes of finishing nails that I had laying on my workbench...

Thanks! It was a fun little proof-of-concept for me... I just need to learn to make my own springs so I can truly say that they are "custom"...

Back