My first

Roger

With so many very good first knives being shown it takes guts to show off this, but here it is. I built this in 1977 from O1, it was heat treated commercially. I dug it out of storage and had not been taking very good care of it. I've got some more recent projects I'll put up later.Dads 2.jpgDads 1.jpg

Roger, That knife has a great heritage already. Good thing you kept it.
Can't wait to see some new pics.

Regards,
Steve

I have no delusions about becoming a knifemaker. I just enjoy it as a hobby. Friends and family get whatever I put together. This one I made from a file. I had some nickle Babbitt left over from a .50 cal nose piece so I poured the butt. The kitchen knife I did at a local weekend knife making class I took. I'm starting to get a little serious about better quality projects.Kitchen 002.jpgFile knife.jpgFile knife date.jpg

I have no delusions about becoming a knifemaker. I just enjoy it as a hobby.

I'd say,if you are doing your best and enjoying it,you're already a ''knifemaker''.There's nothing
wrong with where you're at.My first ones didn't look that good.Keep it up,
and ask lots of questions.There's a lot of knowledge here on KnifeDogs.
Good luck,

God bless,Keith

Roger, your blades aren't that bad. Yes, there's a thing here and a thing there that could be tweeked a little, except for that kitchen knife which looks fine, but to produce a presentable knife the first time out is better than most of us do. I still hide my first knife; it's nice though to run into it in the back of the drawer to see how much progress I've made. No one has the inborne knowledge of how to make knives. It's a study; we learn from each blade that we make and we slowly add to our skills. Keeping knife making as a hobby has it's advantages. We can work at our own speed and we can work on the knives that we want to work on and , when we do well, we can sell a knife or two to pay for our obcession.

Doug Lester

Back