My 1st knife - built from scratch

RickA

Hi everyone

I posted an introduction about myself in the intro forum last night, I also posted details and photos of my first knife, built from scratch with Bohler N690 (440C), African Ironwood and a Brass guard.

I built the knife after reading the "Absolute Cheapskate way to start making knives", despite quite a bit of searching I could not find the 5160 steel mentioned in the document, so went with N690 bar stock from Bohler. I also decided to add a brass guard which was created from an old sliding door hasp.

I didn't have a grinder, so I filed the knife into shape. I am currently in the process of building a KMG grinder to speed things up a bit. While it was fun to make my first knife with files, i think it would be a very slow and painstaking way to make them on a continuous basis.

I have inserted the pictures below. (I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting them again)

RAKnife01-10.jpgRAKnife01-5.jpgRAKnife01-4.jpgRA-Knife01-1.jpgRAKnife01-9.jpgRAKnife01-11.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could do with the brass guard to prevent it tarnishing? Thanks!

Bye for now
Rick

That is very nice. Thanks for helping me decide NOT to post any pictures of my first one. :)

Hi Eric

Thanks for the feedback and the advice about that Lustra WAX, I will have to see if I can find it locally in South Africa, else I will just order it online from USA Knifemakier as per your link.

Best Regards
Rick

I also decided to add a brass guard which was created from an old sliding door hasp.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could do with the brass guard to prevent it tarnishing? Thanks!

Way to scrounge! Now here is a guy who wants to make knives. Great looking knife.

IMHO I would let the brass tarnish, personally I like the way it ages.

Back