Is there any part of your knifemaking that you consider trade secrets.

cwilliams

Ok my question is is there any part of what you do in knifemaking that you will not talk about with other knifemakers. Or in other words do you have any trade secrets you keep to yourself?

The reason I ask is I used to be a pistolsmith (1911smith to be exact).
And most of my peers kept how they did certain things on the down low.

SO what I want to know is is everything you do in knifemaking on the table so to speak. IE fair game for someone else to ask you how you did it and you divulge your process??
Chris W.

Sometimes my embarrasing mistakes are world wide known. I dont think there are really any secrets to knifemaking, just some makers have their methods that work for them. Mine work for me with the equipment and skill level where I'm at today. I've made tons of mistakes early on, they are getting fewer and farther between. Knifemakers are known for sharing the fun to anybody crazy enough to want to do this. Dont be afraid to ask questions, we all started somewhere.
The only secrets I have is when I make embarassing mistakes.

For the most part, knifemakers are VERY willing to share, and show, how they do everything. That is one of the great things about our little brotherhood. I have met very few who kept their methods secret and in probably all of those cases it was because they didn't want people to know that their methods weren't as good as their hype.

For the most part, knifemakers are VERY willing to share, and show, how they do everything. That is one of the great things about our little brotherhood. I have met very few who kept their methods secret and in probably all of those cases it was because they didn't want people to know that their methods weren't as good as their hype.

That's it in a nutshell. I consider it part of my job to share what I know because:
A) It's only fair. I wouldn't know a dang thing if it wasn't for books and help from other makers who came before and are way more experienced than me.
B) It helps point out weak areas in my technique so I can get better.
C) It builds trust with the customer.

I think it changed about the late 80's. Before then it was more of closed area with not a lot of information about knifemaking out there. Most learned from books or conversations with other makers IF they would share how they did things.

When the Guild grew stronger and the ABS made its move then information started to be available. Hammer ins and their whole basis to promote the forging of steel to make knives is when it really opened up.

The internet opened every thing wide open with forums. Tutorials where you could actually see how people did things through pictures and u-tube have made everything available that you want or need. It is just a different world now than it was 20 years ago.

No secrets in knifemaking that I know of. VERY MUCH different than when I was in pulling sports. Lot's of secrets in racing.

I agree with Murph, the only thing I want to keep to myself are the mistakes. I am glad others feel this way to, I would not be where I am today with my knife making if it were not for people like Weldon Whitley and Loyd McConnell who share everything.

Everything I do is a variation of what has been shown or explained to me. When I got serious in the mid 80's on stock removal, I can only remember one person who thought they had a monopoly on information. It turned out that their secrets were pretty mundane and easily figured out.When I took up forging, everyone helped. Like a puzzle, if you have some of the pieces, the others fall into place by themselves. I've never held back info, even to non makers who's eyes glaze over once you answer a question. I like when they say "Jeesh...sorry I asked". Maybe I give too much info.lol.

Rudy

No Secrets. Most everthing I know I learned from some one that was willing to share their knowledge. A few things I figured out on my own or addapted what I learned from others to suit my methods and equipment.
That is one good reason that the KGA has a couple of shop tours a year with demos and round table discussions. It helps to ask questions and have a couple of answers to pick from.
If I could just keep from making some of the same mistakes over, I would be almost mistake free by now. :) Dang I am good at that. :)
I wish everyone a safe and prosperous New Year.

Back