My First Real Test

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I was recently transferred to a new brigade and have a new team of instructors I am working with. One of the guys on my team is kind of a local guy (he's from Batesville, Ms.) and we talk about knives from time to time. In talking, he mentioned a week or two ago that he is slotted to leave for Ranger School at the end of February (this got me thinking).

Well, on Friday we were sitting around the office talking about this and that when the subject of knives came up. He told me that he wanted to keep in touch with me when I leave in March so that he could order a knife from me (this is where my thinking paid off). So, I offered to build him a knife if he agreed to carry it with him through Ranger School. The only conditions I gave him were:

1. He must agree to abuse it as much as possible at Ranger School.
2. He must agree to write a review for me afterwards and be 100% honest and give me the "Good, Bad, and Ugly" facts and opinions on my work.

I have since found out that we have another NCO who will be going to Ranger School the rotation prior, so after Christmas Block Leave I'm going to extend him the same offer. Hopefully my knives will pass the test. If not, hopefully they can give me accurate information that will help me to improve my work.

I'm always nervous when it comes to the quality if my work on any project. I do my best and hope it is good enough.

I'm always nervous when it comes to the quality if my work on any project. I do my best and hope it is good enough.

I understand. The nervousness just shows you care. "Good enough" means it could be better and "dang that's good" means you're on the right track. Something a former boss/mentor taught me:

Good, better, best
Never, ever rest
Until your "good" gets better
And your "better" is the Best

;)

Last edited:
Back