WIP - guard size question

SVanderkolff

This is the current project. The knife has an overall length of just over 14". The blade is Matt Walker striped damascus, the stripes are roughly 3/32 wide and run the full length of the blade. The guard is also the same damascus and the stripes run top to bottom. The guard is 2 3/4" tall and 1 3/8" wide. My question regards the guard size. It feels right and looks right but seems to me to be too wide. I have no idea how you would ever design a sheath for it. What are your thoughts. Too wide, or okay. Is there any type of standard guard width?
Thanks for your help.
Steve

Attachments

• wip-harlequin-2.jpg
    wip-harlequin-2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 27
  • wip-harlequin-3.jpg
    wip-harlequin-3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 26
  • wip-harlequin-1.jpg
    wip-harlequin-1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 31
  • wip-harlequin-4.jpg
    wip-harlequin-4.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 25
It may be a little wide. Generally I like guards to be pretty close to the finished thickness of the handle.

I like it... If you were to narrow it at all, it would throw off the perfect oval shape... Plus, who's to say what is "too wide"? Japanese swords have an almost round guard...

Steve, you can put a kind of shelf behind the knife at the throat of the sheath to make it work right.

You might want to ask your question in the Knife Sheath forum. One of the more experience leather workers would probably have a photo handy to show what I mean.

Carey

Steve,
The size and shape of the guard look fine to me, but the final call is yours. It's really not a problem to do a sheath for that style, just a different direction from a "pouch". As Carey said, post in the sheath area or shoot me an email and I'll give you some examples.
Rick

Steve, i think it may be a little bit too wide but will depend on how thick you make the handle. Looks to me like a silver throat and tip over leather style sheath is required, looking at the style so far.
Cheers Bruce

Back