Trouble Etching Makers Mark

Jim T

Got some terrific stencils made by Ernie Grospitch (who,by the way, is a great guy to do business with!). I used my Etch-o-matic to put my maker's mark on a knife blade and the first one tuirned out fine. However, the blade I marked today turned out inconsistant. I know there's nothing wrong with Ernie's stencils so I'm wondering if I'm not cleaning them properly after use or if I'm not using the electrolite solution the right way when marking the blade.

What's is the proper way to care for stencils? I think they might be clogging up. I spray them with neutralizing solution after I finish with them and then rinse them under tap water. Also, do you put neutralizer on the pad of the Etch-o-matic when you're finished with it? Help please!

Jim

I think you answered your own question.
I would'nt put nuetralizer on the pad, it will interfere with your next etch. I had an Etcho many years ago and just left it alone after etching. I cleaned the screen maybe twice a year and made pads out of flannel shirts. I think it (screen) was brass back then, don't know if that's changed. I just rinse my stencil under warm water and pat dry. If it's loaded up, you can see black specks in the stencil material. The Etcho doesn't give you cleaning ability like a pro etcher does. As far as inconstintent etches, try changing the pad and saturating the new one then squeeze it till it is just damp. You should never have a puddle under or around the stencil.

Good luck,
Rudy

I have the same problem. one will etch fine the next It will not darken or if it does soon as I spray the neutralizer on the black goes away. I have not had a good etch since it was new. I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

After using a little neutralizer on my stencil, I put a drop or two of dish washing detergent on my finger tips and gently 'scrub' the stencil between my fingers until I can see that there are no blockages in the writing on the stencil. Blot the water off and let the stencil air dry.

Works for me.

Carey

Thanks everyone. Rudy, I was wondering whether or not I should be using neutralizer on the pad. Thanks for clarifying. I thought I might not be pressing the pad down onto the stencil for long enough (about 5 seconds). I'll try your method.

I'll try the dish detergent too, Carey. Ernie Grospitch makes quality stencils, so I don't imagine I'll have to worry about damaging them as long as I'm careful.

Cheers guys! Thanks again!

Jim

Back