Thinking out of the box WAY OUT

Bob Warner

KNIFE MAKER
Hey guys.

Just wanted to give you guys a little information on a project I am working on with a good friend.

One of the things I have always wanted to do is to make an impact on this planet in a positive way. I have done some things that have helped people in the past and have definitely been on the receiving end of generosity myself.

However, I have a friend that lives close by and I have worked with him in the past. We bounce ideas off each other on welding projects and other ideas, both of us playing devils advocate for the other guys ideas. In the end it works out for the best.

The guy I am talking about is Harvey Lacey. Harvey is a very artistic guy that has done some pretty outrageous projects over the years.

Harvey called me about three weeks ago to talk to me about an idea he had. Since talking about it we worked on it and shared it with others. It has now taken off in a major way and I want you guys to know about it.

There is a HUGE problem on this planet with plastic trash. There are a lot of people that are trying figure out how to help the trash problem and Harvey has an idea that he and I just proved to be viable.

The plastic problem is huge and so is the problem of third world countries and shelters for people to live in. A lot of companies are trying to find a way to provide inexpensive homes to the poorest of the poor. Harvey had the idea of compressing plastic trash into usable building blocks that could be used to build buildings.

Harvey and I worked together to build and test a hand operated machine that could be built cheap to make these plastic blocks. They could then be donated to a village in Kenya or other areas that need homes.

We decided that the plastic blocks could be compressed and then tied similar to bales of hay. These blocks could then be used to build structures if they could hold the weight of the blocks above it.

SO, we went to the local trash collection place and asked for a bunch of plastic trash. Boy did we get trash.

We loaded the machine with plastic trash and cranked the handle. The plastic smashed into an 8X8X16 block. We then tied the block with wire to keep it together. We tested the block by driving my F150 onto it. IT WORKED. We have proven that it is possible to build a usable block out of trash plastic.

The goal of course would be to allow the local people to gather their own trash plastic (Cost is zero).
Use the community machine to make their own blocks (Cost is zero)
Build their own homes with the blocks they made (Labor is zero).

These people who are mainly not working and can't afford even the simplest of homes are living in cardboard shacks because that is all they can find.

Since there are no jobs the people are not working so they have the time to gather materials, make the blocks and build the homes. Since they provide everything, there is nothing to owe to anyone. Even the kids can help gather plastic and load the machine.

Eventually there would be trade started where one guys gathers the plastic and someone else makes his bricks in exchange for enough plastic to make his own bricks.

The plastic problem in Kenya would be reduced and many people would have a place to live.

Harvey shared this idea with several people and now we have a lot of people involved. Architects, engineers, colleges, the Hunt institute and many others. We also are working with Waste Management the largest waste disposal company in the US.

This thing is taking on a life of its own and Harvey and I are amazed at the rapid rate it is moving. We are also impressed with the people that have we have supporting the concept and offering help to make it happen. One architect in Kenya has solved a huge problem with sewage and created a system that creates methane for cooking. His name is Ronald Omyonga and is a big help in this project. Feel free to search him on Google, you will be amazed a this guys accomplishments. Another (among many) is Owen Geiger who has also created a method to transform plastics into blocks but not as simply or inexpensive as what we are working on. Search Owen Geiger On the web and you will see that sustainable housing is his life's goals.

Owen is currently writing an article about this project for Mother Earth News.

After making and testing the first block we realized a few problems with our machine design and are currently rebuilding it to incorporate in some modification to make it faster and easier. This will be used with nothing but human muscle power so we need to make it as easy and efficient as possible.

Some may offer that hydraulics or electric motors would be better and they would BUT, anything shipped over there that has value will be stolen. Trash is trash, nobody wants it. The machine is only good for this application and would be secured by the community. The rest is labor and that can't be stolen.

The next thing we plan on doing after refurbishing the machine is to get enough plastic to build a 12X12 building to prove the structure will hold up. Once the structure is built we will fill the inside with dirt to the top of the first course of blocks. This will help avoid flooding in the house and it will secure the building to the ground.

There is more to do but we have a pretty good start and a pretty impressive group believing we have a great concept that can make a major difference in third world countries.

If anyone here is interested in this project, please visit www.harveylacey.com to watch the progress.

If anyone thinks they can help or knows anyone that can help, please pass this information on. The more that know about it the greater its chances of success.

As Harvey says; "We did the basic proof of the concept, now we need some smart guys to make it a reality in the world."

Here are a few photos:

Loading it with plastic
Inspecting as we crank it by hand to compress
Overall of the machine built from our scrap piles
The final block under load test

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Thanks Murph,

It is exciting. Thinking about the possibility to make a large impact on peoples lives is very exciting. Sure it is for simple, small structures but that is better than cardboard and it will help clean up the planet. Some of the people getting involved have already made great suggestions and are trying to help.

Unfortunately Harvey nor I can just dedicate our time to this as we both need to support our families and this is very time consuming but we are working on it.

Hopefully we can get enough help to make it all happen faster as time goes by. If we get the right support we will get it done and moved to where it is needed.

Terrific idea, Bob! Sustainable living structures made out of trash blocks is pure genius. And the blocks allow the builder to customize his home in many ways. You might look into finding a government grant to help with expenses - Obama seems to like projects like these as much as you do. Also, don't forget the homeless right here in America - they can use all the help they can get. These sound great for building inexpensive hunting/fishing cabins and storage sheds, too.

I just sent Harvey and email, or tried too.
There is a recent Brita commercial, US throws away enough bottles to go around the world 19 times I believe?

Bob, would something make like a rectangular apple/cider press work?
Strong rectangular frame, wheel or crank handle on the top, tie wires laid in grooves prior to compressing?

Dozier

We are working on trying to contact Bill Clinton. He is working on this exact thing right now but as you may have guessed, contacting a former President is not as easy as you would hope.

There will be building code issues here in the states that we will have to figure out as things happen but in Kenya and other places that is not a problem.

Funding would be great. It would allow us to work on it without the stress of having to find welding jobs and such to get by every month which is darn near impossible. I may be the first American living in one of these.

People could make entire blocks out of the same color plastic and build a pattern into their homes. Get an entire village built and the rich would go there to see the pretty trash houses. Charge them a huge fee to look and the cash could make more machines.

If anyone knows a Grant Writer that would be interested in helping, that would be great. We need steel, welding supplies and if things keep going like they are, a few tools in better shape than what we have now.

Large scale production would not be possible in my shop or at Harvey's as the shops are way to small. There are a lot of obstacles that cash could overcome but unless we find a grant, we will have to go slow as we are now.

Bob, you've mentioned Kenya, but I think closer to home may be easier. As you said, living codes in the US are a PIA, I think, since you are in TX, Mexico and Haiti might be viable options. Get a building up, do some research, alot was done around Katrina in NO, do some more networking, and keep getting the word out. I would look at private organizations too. If you would like to chat send me your number and I'll call. Unlimited weekend minutes and all. I gotta call Denny anyway, so my weekend is pretty much shot. My Best, Dozier

We are looking at everywhere in the future. Kenya has the most attention right now and anything related to Kenya gets everyone's attention. Then after Kenya gets this known, it is unlimited where it could go.

We will get a building up as soon as we can. It is hard to do this while trying to pay bills also so it may take a while. Once the building is built and we have a photo of this fat guy on the roof, there will be no doubt about our ability to make this happen anywhere.

We think it would be cool if Walmart and other large companies (McDonalds, Kohl's, Home Depot and Lowes) would get a machine for each of its stores and ask people to bring in their plastics. Volunteers and donors could build blocks out where everyone can watch, even make it a community event. When their trucks deliver goods they can take plastic blocks back with them. Then Walmart or the other companies could ship them wherever they want and get a lot of publicity cheaper than advertising. A news story of a good deed is way more successful than a million dollar commercial with an old actor.

We just need to contact the right person in each of the organizations and that is not always easy to do.

I would love to run the machine manufacturing plant. I got room in the back yard.

Anyway if anyone can help, please do.

I don't know how to help but I certainly commend you for a great idea. Making efficient, affordable housing available to people who truly need it is a noble endeavor. God bless you and your project!

Dozier,

I missed one of your replies above.

We are not locked into any design. Anything that works better than what we have is more than welcome to take its place. The cider press is Basically what we have now only horizontal. We have guide channels for the wires already.

Harvey is as old as dust so he goes to bed early. If you sent him an email he will probably not see it until morning.

This scrap plastic has compressive strength, but you rely on wire. Is there a good, reliable cheap source of wire there?

Have you seen straw bale adobe

It is effective because of the trapped airspace, insulative properties, and uses less material because of that.
It also uses straw, an agricultural waste product.

http://www.buildingwithawareness.com/house1.html
http://strawbale.sustainablesources.com/

If you can grind / spin your material onto a steel wool / rats nest, this may be a way to use it.

If you want a different way to make that plastic useful, they are reusing plastic soda bottles into lumber type material for outdoor use.
Very good product for fencing and furniture. It's great for outdoor furnature, no painting , and quite sturdy.
It likely takes energy to grind and remelt it though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_lumber

Last edited:
Bob, don't overlook Pepsi, Coca Cola and the gillion other companies that put their products into plastic containers. I'm sure they take a lot of heat over the waste they are creating and would be happy to contribute to a use for their empty containers.

Bob,

VERY COOL project !

I read this thread yesterday and this thought popped into my head today. Not sure if it's feasable or practical with your method of creating the blocks but it would probably greatly increase the structural integrity of the structure if you incorperated dovetails into the ends of the blocks so they would lock together.

Just thinking out loud here :)

Good luck with getting off the ground ! -Josh

Thanks Ernie, I will check that out.

Josh,

Great idea but it may be difficult due to the simplicity the machine needs to maintain and how the blocks are secured with wires.

It is possible to compress these into any shape with more advanced equipment and then blast them with steam to remove and reset the memory in the plastic but then it become too complicated for a manual machine and the costs go up, defeating the purpose of simple and cheap.

However, I will file it away in my folder of ideas for the future of this project.

Thanks,

Bob

I hope this works. We will all be knee deep in those plastic film bags at some point if we can't figure out a good method of reusing them.

There are a lot of those bags in the block that is holding up my truck.

Plastic is rated 1-7. The 1-3's are worth more when recycled. Luckily the less value plastic is better for these blocks and there is a lot more of it.

Great idea, this could really help solve a lot of problems. Looked at Harvey's web site for the
current status and it looks like you're both thinking and making progress.

Back