Anyone else get Burt Fosters newsletter?

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
Has anyone else seen his new big knife...
His "Composite Laminated Integral"?
wow...
And his Dark Sides are smokin' hot too.
I ain't seen hamons that made me giddy like his do...(it's not just me is it?):biggrin:

Last edited:
Good Morning Frank!
I didn't want to post pics of his work until I got his O.K. on it first,
but if I hear back from him when I get back later today I'll put 'em up.
Have a great day y'all!

I just heard back from Burt and got the o.k. to share pics of his CLI knives
bowie-065b.jpg

bowie-065a.jpg

hunter-046.jpg

CLI1.jpg

CLI.jpg

http://burtfoster.com/bowies/cli-bowies.htm

Last edited:
The single greatest thing that stokes my Passion for handforged steel is that People and forged Blades share something in their journey;
in order to achieve their greatest Strength and Temper they must face the Hammer and the the Flames...
And this is why I am especially drawn to knives with a hammer-forged finish: it shows that they've been shaped by tremendous forces.
And the reason why a visible temper line,or hamon instills such awe in me is because there is the evidence of the heat that bestowed it's Temper to the steel.
These are things that some people share...those who have faced the Hammer and Flames bear the marks of that which shaped them also.

Burt mentions "The pattern of the exposed core literally shows every hammer blow required to bring the blade to the shape you see here. Each movement of the steel distorts that core, and leaves that distortion forever in the pattern."
That thrills me to my core!

Oh yes those hamons are wicked.

They aren't hamons though! The effect comes from the martensitic stainless steel sucking
carbon from the high carbon core in different layers. I got to hear Burt talk about how to
make these a couple of years ago at Ashokan. Also got to handle a couple. I just love this
effect.

It's also very tricky to do. The weld must happen in an oxygen free atmosphere with just
one chance to weld per billet. If any part doesn't weld the first time the stainless will
form an oxide barrier inside the billet that will never weld.

They aren't hamons though! The effect comes from the martensitic stainless steel sucking
carbon from the high carbon core in different layers. I got to hear Burt talk about how to
make these a couple of years ago at Ashokan. Also got to handle a couple. I just love this
effect.

It's also very tricky to do. The weld must happen in an oxygen free atmosphere with just
one chance to weld per billet. If any part doesn't weld the first time the stainless will
form an oxide barrier inside the billet that will never weld.

Thank you very much for tHis info, much appreciated.

Back