When Gremlins Attack

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Ever had one of those days? Ed posted a thread earlier talking about his day battling with his water heater and I was joking around about the "Gremlins" when Denny blamed it on "Murphy's Law", but stressed that it wasn't Murph (me).

After eating dinner and watching Survivor, I called the wife to check-in and tell her I was heading to the shop. I got up headed out the door only to realize that my keys were sitting on the bar. Yep, you guessed it, I locked the door and the only spare key is on Nadine's key chain. Oh, and Nadine is back home in Arkansas.

I checked the windows, no luck. I guess me reminding Nadine to make sure and lock the windows repeatedly worked. Both downstairs windows were locked so I started eyeballing the upstairs window. The only problem now is that I don't have a ladder, my phone's battery is dying, and I'm also locked out of my car. Thank goodness for OnStar. I had just enough battery left to make the call to get my car door unlocked and plug in my phone.

I called a buddy who lives down the road and he brought over his ladder only to find that the upstairs window is also locked. Then I went rummaging through my car looking for a "master key". Luckily I keep everything in the world in my car and found the master key hiding in the floorboard.

My Master Key

Dead On.jpg

Ah hah! Caffrey's Law strikes again! Glad you got in without getting arrested, Murph. You should keep a spare key under the Welcome mat where noone will find it.

I did something very similar only it cost me a replacement pane of stormdoor safety glass and I now have a dent in my wooden front door from a thrown sledge hammer... now I carry a set of house keys in my left & right front pants pockets! :biggrin:

... now I carry a set of house keys in my left & right front pants pockets! :biggrin:

Very similar to my solution. I found myself locked out of my car too often so I started carrying a spare car key with my change. The car has a spare house key (among others) in a hidden place, but no spare car key in the car. My main key "ring" is a carabiner clipped to a belt loop with car keys, house keys and work keys on separate rings so I can take off just the car key easily for valet parking (rarely, usually when someone else pays for it) without giving him/her the matching house key. Seems somewhat paranoid, but it's been a while since I've been locked out. :)

Steve

Last edited:
My dad always had a spare house key hidden in a magnetic box (the type for hiding an extra car key on your car). He kept on the inside of one of the down spouts. Saved me a couple of times. The only thing I didn't like about it was sometimes the spiders would hide in the box.

Back