Sanding Belts -- villiage idiot questions.

seionage

hi all,
I recently picked up a 2x42 craftsman grinder from craigslist.

I know nothing about sanding belts, and am trying to get a handle on what I need to order.

It looks like trugrit.com and supergrit.com are the preferred suppliers of 2x42 belts.

From all the posts I've read, it seems like people like the following progressions:

=================
60,80,120 Norton Blaze Belts (2x60 grit -- twice as many as the others)

HT then 400 gator and then scotchbrite

==================
or
====================
120, 220, 400, HT, 400, scotchbrite.
==================
or
====================
80, 320, 600
==============

What progression do you like? Is there any gotchas with any of the progressions above?

From what I've read, people seem to agree that Blaze belts are the best. Who makes them?

What is the difference between a Blaze belt and a ceramic belt?

what is a scotchbright belt? is there a different name for them? who makes them? is there an equivalent belt?

What is a Gator belt? Is that a ceramic belt? who makes gators? Is there a competing belt that is the same?

Thanks a bunch!

I'd be very interested in the results of your questions as well. I recently bought the same grinder, and bought a bunch of belts from e-bay, but they're not the best quality...

This is my opinion...everyone has one. YMMV
Buy good belts , Norton , 3M , JFlex ,are all good belts. Use em and throw em away as if they were going out of style.
I go 60 - 120 - 220 - 320 - 400 HT 400 then either 600 - 800 - 1000 , or scotchbrite , or 600 and AO beadblast. depending on the desired finished product.
If a belt looks worn out to you....throw it away. It was probably worn out 2 knives ago.
After HT use a brand new belt , they dont create as much heat.

Check out Boss's supply site Midwest Knifemaker Supply (link is at the top of the screen). Go to "abrasives" and then "belts"'and check out his abrasive info page. Lots of awesome info. It really breaks things down using the K.I.S.S. Method. It the best abrasives reference I have ever found.

Ok, I start out with 60 grit Norton Blase belts to refine my outline and initial grinds. I grind my flats first and then grind my bevels. I then go to 120 Blase and then to a 220 equivalent 3M micron belt. I heat treat and go back to the 220 micron and then to a 400 grit equivalent micron and then to a course Scotch Brite belt. When I use up my present supply of 120 grit Blase belts I will replace them with 220 grit Blaze belts to use before heat treating. I'll keep the 220 microns to use after heat treating because they are less agressive on the cut.

Doug Lester

I must be blind, because I looked on trugrit and supergrit, and I can't find Blase or Blaze belts anywhere. What am I missing? What are they listed as?

Ok, I looked closer, and do see Blaze belts for the 2x72, but not 2x42.

What would be an equivalent belt in the 2x42?

Thanks!

Oops, my bad. I read 2X48 instead of 2X42. Blaze belts are made in 1X42" and are available from Jantz and you might be able to adapt these to your grinder. The problem with a 2X42" grinder is going to be the best belts are not going to be made in that size.

Doug Lester

ATTENTION:

After doing some research, I have removed the comment about splicing your own belts. Even though some others have mentioned doing it in other threads, the consensus of experienced knife makers is that this could lead to failure of the splice and injury to the operator. Splicing your own belts should not be attempeted.

Last edited:
Back