More winter weather on the way for us

Cliff Fendley

Temps are back up in the twenty's and we have freezing rain, with some sleet and snow on top of it on the way. Kids probably won't have school tomorrow if we get what they are saying. Will be lucky to walk out there tomorrow, driving will be slow going.

When the temps stay close to the freezing mark it's just a mess. Wish it was 10 degrees colder or warmer.

I hear ya Cliff, we are supposed to get 1-2" of ice tonight then 3-5" of snow on that. Just about 20 miles south of here, right on the VA border they still have about 10" of snow. Why is it the older I get the less I like the cold?

Sean

Do you guys have much snow Sean? We only have about 3-4 inches laying around on average. Some places deeper from the drifting and some places pretty much bare. The ice will crunch up if on top of snow but where we have been driving it's all packed and the roads are pretty much clear so it's going to be slick if we get the ice they are saying.

Do you guys have much snow Sean? We only have about 3-4 inches laying around on average. Some places deeper from the drifting and some places pretty much bare. The ice will crunch up if on top of snow but where we have been driving it's all packed and the roads are pretty much clear so it's going to be slick if we get the ice they are saying.

About the same here Cliff, but driving south just a few miles it gets much worse, its the change in elavation. Here in Pikeville we are at about 750' just south in Norton, Va it is about over 1000' in elavation so they always have more snow.

It's Thursday morning and welcome to ugly weather. We have had rain all morning and it's trying to decide whether to freeze or not. Cars are covered in a thin veneer of ice. I watched the poor mailman slip and slide from his truck to the mail boxes. I have 3 cases of beer, a half gallon of good bourbon and a baloney sandwich so 'let her buck'.

We haven't got near what they said. Thin layer of ice over the snow, my small lab walks on it without falling through but my male is cracking through it. He sounds like a horse when he's running.

It's not bad here right now, Cliff, but tonight could get really rough when the temps drop. The Weather Channel keeps showing shots of Louisville and Elizabethtown.

Looks like we got the same you guys did, but its supposed to be 17 tonight so we'll what its like in the morning.

Denny, with your provisions I may be coming to your place for the winter. Does that bourbon come with wax on the lid? ;)

I hate ice! Just came in from feeding, I'd take 2 foot of snow any day over this stuff.

Everything you touch is frozen up, have to carry a propane torch around to get gates and doors open. You tear the weatherstripping off the doors of any tractor that hasn't been sitting in the barn and the leveling devices on the loaders are frozen up so you will destroy it if you try and use it without getting it all cleared off.

I hope it doesn't keep this up and start tearing the gutters off because I know them and the downspouts are almost a solid block already.

You know it's slick when the dog falls down.

... I have 3 cases of beer, a half gallon of good bourbon and a baloney sandwich so 'let her buck'.
Good thing ya got that bourbon,it's handy for getting yer fire going when the kindling's wet...:52:
:3:

I'm sending Warm and Safe thoughts down ya'lls way.

Thanks, the warmth must have got here, at least some of it. It made it above freezing today (barely) and they are calling for highs in the 30's and even may hit 40 on Tuesday. Hopefully some of this ice will get out of here although they are calling for more tomorrow night and again next weekend.

Do you guys have to deal with all the ice up there or is it mostly snow? I don't mind snow at all but the ice is terrible. We have layers of snow and ice and you have to be careful because when you break through the ice in areas it's not very thick it will cut in to your overshoes. This is ridiculous. It's like walking on a frozen creek everywhere you go.

Last edited:
Being right on the B.C. coast,we don't generally get too much snow,and the ice isn't extreme,
and so far this winter has only had 1 week where it dipped to -10 to -15 C...
that being said,everyone is of the opinion we're gonna get hit here with the worst winter in 50 years...

Back