I want to make a forearm sheath

BRad704

Not a mall-ninja auto-opening Wolverine type deal... just something simple like the popular cuff bracelets with a sheath off the back.

I can see it in my head, I'm just not sure if anyone has done this before and what problems would there be?

My initial thoughts to consider are
1- how to attach the cuff to your arm

I like the newish wide leather bracelets, and they use 2 snaps to close. I suppose this would be a good starting place.

2- how to keep it from spinning.
I had a pair of cycling shorts that had a hot glue type line around the legs to keep them from scooting up. I think that on an elastic strap around the upper tip of the sheath could work well.

3- angle of the sheath versus your arm and the cuff
I guess this would be similar to building a good welt. The overall angle of the knife should be pointing out a bit from your wrist so that you can remove the knife easily

4- retention
a snap coming around the spine of the knife would be easy to unsnap with your opposite thumb while removing the knife.

In the end, I can see this as basically a western cowboy type cuff, with a sheath built onto it. Of course its not like you could wear this in the summer or with short sleeves without looking rediculous, but in the fall/winter, it would give you quick access to a small blade like a necker. just without pulling up your shirt.

Flame me as you wish, but I promise if I ever do this, I am the most NON-tacticool person around. I have no aspirations of recreating Assassin's Creed.

Just a thought,

I've seen some neat paracord bracelets with quick release buckles.
Maybe one above & one below, and maybe a web backing.
A watch fitted properly, watch on flat of forearm,
keeps from spinning, so buckle on flat of wrist should cut down on spin, if not too loose.

Anyway, I like the creative thinking. Keep it coming.

Thanks, and love the GSD too btw... :) I have one (well, a partial one) at home waiting for me right now.

I just don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to be tacticool or cheesey. I am honestly open to making something like this, provided I make the blade first. And IF I can make it conspicuous enough and comfortable enough, I don't see why it wouldn't be a good thing (keeping in mind local carry laws). Which for me are 4" and under, I think.

Just be cautious. A sheath in this configuration + a sharp knife, could = an emergency trip to the hospital. Too many sensitive blood vessels in the area for my liking. Just my $0.02.

Thanks, and love the GSD too btw... :) I have one (well, a partial one) at home waiting for me right now.

I just don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to be tacticool or cheesey. I am honestly open to making something like this, provided I make the blade first. And IF I can make it conspicuous enough and comfortable enough, I don't see why it wouldn't be a good thing (keeping in mind local carry laws). Which for me are 4" and under, I think.

Thanks, our GSD's are great girls and we may be fostering a little sheltie soon.

I wonder if a horizontal rig would be a decent alternative. It could ride along the belt, wouldn't need to
pull the shirt up much, like you would with a necker, and could still be pretty well concealed. Shoot, you could even match
the sheath to your belt leather.

Either way a slim almost necker style with out scales would, to me, be the style easiest to conceal.
As far as snaps, would magnets be sufficient to secure the blade without straps or snaps, forearm
or belt configuration?

Great, now I'll be thinking about this all night.

My Mother and I made an arm rig back in the early 70's. I made the sheath for a knife I had thrown so many times that the handle was coming off. I wrapped the tang in tape and press fitted the sheath to the knife. My Mom sewed elastic arm bands to the sheath. They fit so well that the knife and sheath wouldn't move on my arm. All I had to do was reach up my left sleeve and grab the tang end of the knife (this was with cuffs buttoned) and I was armed. Hope this helps.

I had a cheap one years and years ago that a friend gave me,and while it is cool,and fun to wear,
just make sure you're NEVER caught wearing it in public...
there is NO way you can convince a LEO that it's "for work purposes"...unless you both happen to belong to the same Assassin's Guild ;)

It's funny you say this I was sort of thinking the same....All below have good points, but there are blood vessels everywhere in the body and that is why we have two arms, if one goes down the other works. Ex-paramedic LOL.....Have you drawn it out...I was thinking of a full leather wrist wrap like the Roman Legion wore. I actually wear a small leather wrap now and that's when my brain started ticking. It would be a good idea for a patch knife "Black powder knife" quick easy to get to and no longer in length then four to five inches "the knife" Wrap would have to be a a good seven or so? You could make a universal for folders as well. Here is a link to Master Smith that designed a sheath that could have half of your idea and I would use a leather fold over with out snaps. You could use two leather wraps = one for the top of the forearm and one for the bottom combined by straps of velcro. It would be cool to keep it all leather though. Look into gunfighter leather wraps etc, Roman Legion wrist wraps and go to town. I think it would be very rustic and useful in the Black Powder World or fishing and maybe even ice skating? LOL Man now I won't stop thinking!!!! good luck. Here is a link to a very simple designed sheath...one of Bo Randalls friends designed it! Kris Belt Sheath

Another thought would be to use Velcro to attach the sheath to your forearm. I wear wrist braces on both wrists for carpal tunnel and they are held in place with Velcro straps. The straps allow me to adjust the braces so they stay in place but still aren't too tight.

Back