Stormy Weather

Lorien

Last December, Magnus Axelson and I started talking about a knife.

We exchanged a lot of emails and phone calls, and although Magnus is half a world away on the other side of the planet, a great friendship has ensued.

I finally sent Magnus a sketch of what I had in mind, and my sketch was based upon my research of Magnus' style which I found in looking at his dealer's website, www.beautifulblades.com and wherever else I could find images of Magnus' work.

After some massaging of the handle shape, the final working sketch was agreed upon and over the following year, the knife would gradually take shape.

This thread has been started now that the knife is almost complete, but I intend to draw it out some in order to give you a feeling of my excitement and anticipation. I have not yet received the knife, but when I do this thread will reach its conclusion.

I hope you enjoy a microcosm of my own experience in following along with this thread. Your participation is certainly encouraged so please feel free to express your comments and viewpoints.

axelsonsketch.jpg

Magnus just sent me the very first original drawing which I sent him.
I haven't seen this pic since I sent it to him. It's amazing how he focused his considerable design talent on the handle and came up with something truly
'Axelson'.

Original-sketch-by-Lorien.jpg

Going to be quite a knife. It looks like Mangus "smoothed" out the knife some, flow ?, added the ferrule, and a few slight modifications. I liked the original but I think I like the second sketch better, I'm not a real angleuar (sp) guy. The top handle looks severe, to some perhaps, but I've got a knife from Mike Craddock with similar handle configuration and it feels awesome in hand. I'm a fan of Mangus's work, so really looking forward to updates. Thanks for sharing. Dozier

just to make sure we're all on the same page, the second picture posted is the original design. The first picture underwent Magnufication!

once Magnus got down to business, he rejigged the design a little bit;

Altknife-sketch-1.jpg

This will be the final design.

And I promise, you will see steel in this thread within a few hours.

Magnus decided that this knife required a little embellishment.
After he sent me the following picture, I completely agreed.

2.jpg

the blade, prior to heat treatment;

1.jpg

This knife uses 6mm RWL34 for the blade.
Wait til you see the handle!

Wow. Fabulous Work, as expected. I did have the drawings reversed, that said, the knife in post #7 is going to be awesome.
His attention to detail and small work is amazing to me.
Looking forward to more. Dozier

WOW that blade look Awesome. That knife is going to look great can't wait to see it complete.

here's the blade with the yellowish 'scale' removed;

Finished2.jpg

From Magnus;
"At the moment the blade has a 1000 grit "machine" finish on the hollow grind, and a 800 grit handrubbed satin finish on the rest of it."

Finished1.jpg

NOT a fair question. 10 Choices, all good. 5 I like better than the other 5, but I think there are too many options. Good Options!
Dozier

Sold! Great combination.
The elegance is starting to work it's way into this knife as I knew it would.
Dozier

Back