collector's advice

Bennie Lovejoy

A boy from work asked me the other day if I could clean and sharpen a couple of knives for him. sure I said. One of the knives was a pocket folder that just has some rust on the blade. But the other is a model 1880 hunting knife from the Springfield armory. From all of the info I could find on it this thing, It was made in 1883 to 1885. It is rusted on the blade and the brass of the guard and scabbard are really bad from age. Is it ever a good idea to clean something this old? My first instinct is to say no, but I'm not sure if it would degrade the value of the knife if I just clean the brass and leave the blade alone? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I would leave it alone.
Although I'm not a pro appraiser....we've all heard more than once about removing the original patina from anything. The value automatically goes down, assuming it's worth anything.

Rudy

anything that old, I would not "refurb". If the owner wants a new looking knife, I'd advise him to leave it as is or sell that one and buy a new looking knife and pocket the balance.

1880SpringfieldKnife.jpg

One of these?
I saw one on an auction site,in this kind of shape, going for $750
edited to add:
Might be worth getting it pro cleaned...
I've seen them going from $350 to over $3000 depending on condition,
and type:there's a "rare" one with iron guard in Vry Good cond. listed at over $3000.

Last edited:
Ironwolf, thats the knife. Brass guard. I told him today that I would not touch it,That it would probably ruin the value of the knife. Thanks for the advice folks.

I've seen discussions regarding safe ways to clean such items without ruining collector value,
but it might be worth having it professionally restored.
Then again,some collectors prefer to do it themselves,if at all.
Me personally,I'd clean it,and use it occasionally,listen to the stories it has to tell,and add a few of my own. :)

Restore is what I do!! I don't care how old. It's like cars, hot rods model T's Now if you tub out cars and put a thousand horse power engine in a classic...if it is done right you can triple the value. It's all about the market and how classy it is done. The oldest weapon I restored was an 1876 Steyr Sword. It was rusted, along with the scabbard. When things are done right I believe it increases the value, it's worked for me. The man whom bought the sword stated he had never seen one in such condition. And I tripled it's value from when I bought it. It just takes a lot of time. Then...I turned a peace of junk Kabar 1209 Knife from Vietnam a guy was going to throw away into gold. Along with a Russian 1926 Bayonet that sold for over a thousand dollars, but averages thirty dollars on EBay? I love customizing and restoration. They do it for old WW2 planes, tanks, etc, why not knives. It has to be done right with a lot of patience. I believe I am adding years to a knife. Anywhooooo beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the one with money! You can see my KaBar 1209 on my site. I guess I will post more of my restorations. Good Luck!!! I would restore to increase the value and add years to the knife. I see it done to planes all the time!!! www.martinelliknives.com

Kris

Restore is what I do!! I don't care how old. It's like cars, hot rods model T's Now if you tub out cars and put a thousand horse power engine in a classic...if it is done right you can triple the value. It's all about the market and how classy it is done.

You can see my KaBar 1209 on my site.
I would restore to increase the value and add years to the knife. I see it done to planes all the time!!! www.martinelliknives.com

Kris

Martinelli%201209-Restored-KaBar.jpg

From this photo,you had nothing to lose by working on it if it was already scrap, but I wouldn't call that a "restoration."
I would call restoration putting something into perfect origional working order the day it was made.

For a WWII aircraft or tank, sure that's great, make it run like it used to
In collectible knives, the collectors drop value on anything less than untouched condition.

Looking at your Kabar I see:
You buffed it to within an inch of it's life and washed out the existing bevel lines.
You added a non original wood handle in an non origional shape, that doesn't come to within 1/2" of matching the profile of the aluminum but cap...
Why not put a new leather handle on it, like the one that rotted off?

You filed some notches in the blade spine and guard, not origional...and I have to say, not adding anything attractive to it either...

I have some old stuff and the last thing I would ever do is "clean it up"

Last edited:
Martinelli%201209-Restored-KaBar.jpg

From this photo,you had nothing to lose by working on it if it was already scrap, but I wouldn't call that a "restoration."
I would call restoration putting something into perfect origional working order the day it was made.

For a WWII aircraft or tank, sure that's great, make it run like it used to
In collectible knives, the collectors drop value on anything less than untouched condition.

Looking at your Kabar I see:
You buffed it to within an inch of it's life and washed out the existing bevel lines.
You added a non original wood handle in an non origional shape, that doesn't come to within 1/2" of matching the profile of the aluminum but cap...
Why not put a new leather handle on it, like the one that rotted off?

You filed some notches in the blade spine and guard, not origional...and I have to say, not adding anything attractive to it either...

I have some old stuff and the last thing I would ever do is "clean it up"

Count, I appreciate your comments and corrections. I agree with what you say! In this case Restore and or Customize? My example was not a good one. A model T can be cut up. tubed out and sold for hundreds of thousands more than an original? The knife above before I soaked it in mineral oil was going to be thrown away. It was a knife that was given to Marine Major CWO-4 M.K. A decorated Vietnam vet whom served four tours in Vietnam. I customized that knife...it has been shown to many officers and soldiers from all over and I have received many commendations and requests for similar knives. The notches represent his years of service. I left divets and scratches in it, just like the soldier whom carried it still has! It is far from original but it was all done by hand and with careful consideration to appearance. I should put the story on my site...and I thank you for that! Everyone has opinions and here is an example of a Syracuse, NY Vintage Knife that came my way bent and rusted. I carefully took it apart and cleaned it. I even put the original bone handle that had a piece broken off. I doubled it's value at auction $400.00. syracuse2.jpg Here is my example of restoration and customization. The mentioned bayonet above sold at auction for just over $1,110 which astounded me? The buyer was one of the owners and founders of the largest pharmaceutical company in the world.....!! This Bayonet was black and rusted bad. I saved it, polished it out and used every original peace except for the leather belt strap. Russian-Bayonet.jpg Beauty is in the eye of the buyer in all things. So far I have been blessed and lucky with what I call "My Art Work". Once again I do appreciate your corrections and comments. Sincerely. Going public is new for me and I have to be careful of my choice of words. I should...."Know what I know and know what I don't know"

Take Care!

Kris

I really do thank you all for your comments regarding this knife., But I think that do to the age of this piece I should not be the one to restore it or clean it up. If he wants that kind of work done to it then he will have to find someone who does that for a living or has more experience in it. Not that I couldn't clean it up. Just that I would hate to mess up such an ugly but cool looking piece.

Back