Cross your Fingers and Toes - What happened, Why we were down..

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We just now got back up after about 24 hours of being down.:35:

There were a couple issues.:sad:

I use a tech guy to work under the hood here.:cool:I don't know enough about php and such so I leave it to a pro.:confused2:

Periodically, the vbulletin people issue security patches and updates. :drool:We don't install every one right away. :shush:It depends on the issues addressed in the patches:57:. There were a couple important updates that needed to be applied.:3:

so...I tell the tech guy to do his voodoo..:52:
the host doesn't like all the ftp activity so they throttle him to near zero part way through the update and it all blows up.:46:

now the tech guy is pissed :12:he can't finish and each one is pointing to the other. :noway:
so.. we get a sympathetic :7:, determined guy at the host company to step in and take over. He spends HOURS :44:eek:n the issue and we are back up and running:35:....I think..:confused2:

We'll see.:nothing:

That's the story...

Woof.
t

Last edited:
Yep. Thanks for getting it back up and running. I know first hand how frustrating managing databases can be.

Skill and ability count for a lot but perseverance outdoes them both every time.

Many thanks, Tracey.

I've been depressed for the past day. Good to see all of you guys again.

Thank for the update, errr, I mean report. Have all the players come to an understanding/strategy as to how to do this kind of stuff in the future without repeating the snafu?

...'cause we sure miss our Knife Dogs!!!!

:s8936:

...I'm sure glad to see you fellas...
I was so lonely,I chewed the couch up while you were gone!:s12138:

Thank for the update, errr, I mean report. Have all the players come to an understanding/strategy as to how to do this kind of stuff in the future without repeating the snafu?

...'cause we sure miss our Knife Dogs!!!!

:s8936:

I think we got to the root cause - which was an ftp "throttle" issue. For those that don't know, when you ftp (file transfer to a host server) you can have multiple connections to speed things along. This is pretty normal stuff. The host guys can have a server really over whelmed so they tend to put in "throttles" to control the number of connections, bandwidth controls, timers and who knows what else. This is set by each account. Ours was messed up but the host dug around, found the issue this afternoon and reports, after he tested it, that it's up and working as it should be now. Sooooo that means this kind of episode won't repeat. We will try and do our best to come up with a fresh and unique way to screw it up next time...

I think we got to the root cause - which was an ftp "throttle" issue. For those that don't know, when you ftp (file transfer to a host server) you can have multiple connections to speed things along. This is pretty normal stuff. The host guys can have a server really over whelmed so they tend to put in "throttles" to control the number of connections, bandwidth controls, timers and who knows what else. This is set by each account. Ours was messed up but the host dug around, found the issue this afternoon and reports, after he tested it, that it's up and working as it should be now. Sooooo that means this kind of episode won't repeat. We will try and do our best to come up with a fresh and unique way to screw it up next time...

I have faith in ya T!

As Murph said,I have been depressed:15: Not knowing how
long we would be down,I would pull up the site about
every 1 to 2 hours,only to be let down:2:HEY we are
up again:happy:

Thanks Boss,for what you do to keep this place going.

God bless,Keith

gotta love the tech stuff. a couple of key strokes and all better. hope all is well in puter land. my ass is freezing, time to get the forge going.

I think there are still some issues.....I was just attempting to respond to the "designing a forge" thread, and it appears that none of the button controls in the advance editor are working....copy/paste seems to work, but Quote, link, or any other buttons/controls do not.

WENT BACK A PLAYED WITH IT SOME MORE....IT TOOK ABOUT 3-4 "RELOADS", BUT NOW THE EDITOR SEEMS TO BE WORKING CORRECTLY.

Last edited:
To show my appreciation to you folks who got this hiccup fixed,
I'm now taking Basic Housetraining...
no more puddles!:60:

Back