My 3rd Knife

Pieter

I love hunting knifes and I love warthogs so my third knife will involve both of them. I have been practising my hollow grinding so this one will have a hollow grind.

The design is laser cut.

5 Hunter 1.jpg

Then the blade is hollow ground.

5 Hunter 2.jpg

The bolsters are cut from 316 Stainless steel.

5 Hunter 7.jpg

The holes for the bolsters and handle pins are marked and drilled.

5 Hunter 8.jpg

Then the bolsters are clamped to the blank for drilling using these 2 types of clamps.

5 Hunter 9.jpg 5 Hunter 11.jpg 5 Hunter 13.jpg

Selectedsome nice pink ivory wood for the handles and I will be using red mosaic pins for the scales.

5 Hunter 15.jpg 5 Hunter 16.jpg

now I sanded the handle and recasso areas flat and it is ready for heat treatment.

5 Hunter 20.jpg

Will post again as soon as it is back from the heat treatment.

Please guys again I need comments and suggestions of what I can change or do different.

Very cool! I like the warthogs in the blade. Where did you get the drilling clamp? I really like the way you can level the blade out so that it sits perpendicular to the drill bit.

Thanks guys. Ted here is a beter picture of the clamps I used maybe this will help if you want to make them.

Clamps 1.jpg

Right I got the blade heat treated with my friend.

5 Hunter 21.jpg

Polished the blade and cover with masking tape. Attached and shape bolster. Fit handle scales and pins.

5 Hunter 28.jpg5 Hunter 26.jpg

Here is the completed knife. The blade is a mirror finish the and bolster is stippled.

5 Hunter 34.jpg5 Hunter 33.jpg5 Hunter 32.jpg5 Hunter 39.jpg5 Hunter 40.jpg

Please let me know what you think as this is a steep learning curve for me.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Pieter

This knife is very very nice. Is that one of the blanks from KMTS? I saw similar blanks at KMTS when I visited them on my last trip to JHB in October.

Rick

Dear Pieter,

Wonderlike Mes my vriend. Ek hou van die vlakvark detail. Jou werk is baie skoon en goed toegerus. Dit is baie belangrik in die persoonlike werk.

Regards,
Steve

('Dogs - I was just telling Pieter how clean and detailed his work was..)

Beste Steve.

Baie dankie vir die kompliment ek stel dit hoog opprys.
(Thank you very much, it is highly appretiated.)

Steve your Afrikaans is very impressive, well done.

Regards

My Afrikaans is a work in progress and I will admit that when I get stuck I use google translator so I don't make a fool of myself.

Pieter,

Baie mooi mes, meneer! Hy het great uigekom (sorry, I'm adding to the Afrikaans in this thread).

It looks fantastic!

Ted

Back