My 2nd Knife

Pieter

For my 2nd knife I decided on a small drop point hunter. Knife length is 7.3" and the blade is 3.7" long. I have decided on 12C27 Stainless steel and got the design laser cut. I then drilled the holes for the bolster and the handle pins.
2 Hunter 11.jpg
I have used 316 Stainless steel as bolster material and all the pins would also bee 316 Stainless steel.
2 Hunter 3.jpg
For the handle I decided on these wild olive scales.
2 Hunter 8.jpg

Last edited:
Seen that my grinder is not complete I would be doing this one with files and sand paper.
These are the files I will use.
Files 1.jpg
First I cut the plunge line using a round chainsaw file.
2 Hunter 14.jpg 2 Hunter 13.jpg
Now I start filing the cutting edge using the draw file method.
2 Hunter 17.jpg 2 Hunter 16.jpg
I made sure that the 2 plunge lines are in the centre of the the blede.
2 Hunter 19.jpg

After the filling is done it sand paper and sweat time.
I clamp a piece of wood to my work bench and the knife to the piece of wood. I clamp the knife so that the tip is on the wood and will not puncher my hand during sanding.

2 hunter 22.jpg

Then I start sanding with 180 grid water paper using lamp oil to wet the paper and steel making sure that all the file marks are gone.

2 Hunter 25 180 Grit.jpg 2 Hunter 26 180 Grit.jpg

Nect I went to 320 Grid water paper using lamp oil to wet the paper and steel making sure that all the 180 grit marks are gone.

2 Hunter 31 320 Grit.jpg 2 Hunter 32 320 Grit.jpg

Now the knife is ready for heat treatment. This picture shows the knife ready for heat treatment, the handle scales, the pins and the bolsters ready to go on.

2 Hunter 33.jpg

I will post again as soon as I get it back from the heat treatment.

Please guys I need your comments on what to do better or different, this is a steep learning curve for me.

I agree with randy, very nice flow to the knife. The handle material is a very nice choice as well. Can't wait to see it finished.

This knife got lost between me and the guy that did the heat treatment for me. Maybe it will turn up one day.

Sorry to hear that it got lost, hopefully it will turn up. Looks like it was going to be a very nice knife

Rick

Back