Knife Filing and Engraving Costs?

Kris Martinelli

I thought the Knife Calculator was a great topic. I am somewhat new to the knife world. I have started by learning file work and some engraving by a friend whom past away Earl Dillon. He was featured in Gun Digest Book of Knives when it was out. We never discussed cost or what to charge while I was learning from him? I was doing it as a hobby and having fun.

Now as my work is becoming visible to the public. A few knife smith's have asked me to do some file work. Does anyone charge by Inch?? If so how much? I was happy just to put my work on one master smiths knives and him give me a couple of his knives for payment. One gentleman Chuck Stapel stated he makes knives and believed he last heard, file work and engraving was anywhere between twenty and forty dollars an inch???? He wasn't sure. Anybody have an idea? Please Help.................LOL Thanks

I have no idea, but if I received a couple of M.S. knives for a few inches of file work I would call it adequate payment in my mind.

for the life of me I can't recall which mag it was in,
but there was an article in a knife magazine a few years back,
and one knifemaker said he charged from $20-$40 an inch,depending on the pattern.

I know a guy who gets $20/inch for sharpening, never mind filework. I guess it all depends on the market you're in.

...I've been doing file-work for 8-10 years now, and it averages out to about $2-$5/an inch is what I've been making...
at an hour + per inch...(mind you,I am filing finished,hardened knives made from D2 etc...)
I'm gonna HAVE to raise my prices...to at least $6/inch! ;)

I think that filework and engraving are two distinctly different animals. I would never offer filework services, simply because of individual tastes....what I find attractive, someone else would not. Engraving on the other had...I bid by the job and complexity. For example, doing a set of bolsters with a scroll pattern may only be a day or two job. But if you get into gold inlay, or intricate stuff, a set of bolsters can take several days to layout, cut, shade, smooth, and finish. My personal opinion is that IF an engraver is charging by the inch on anything other than scrolls or borders, they are hurting themselves.

I think that filework and engraving are two distinctly different animals. I would never offer filework services, simply because of individual tastes....what I find attractive, someone else would not. Engraving on the other had...I bid by the job and complexity. For example, doing a set of bolsters with a scroll pattern may only be a day or two job. But if you get into gold inlay, or intricate stuff, a set of bolsters can take several days to layout, cut, shade, smooth, and finish. My personal opinion is that IF an engraver is charging by the inch on anything other than scrolls or borders, they are hurting themselves.

Ed, thanks for taking the time to answer the question. They are two beasts. It really does depend on style..many different things. See here in Cali.. I can get away with "This is my Art and Art is priceless" we will see how long that lasts. Appreciate you time!

I have no idea, but if I received a couple of M.S. knives for a few inches of file work I would call it adequate payment in my mind.
Ya, I guess your right....I got a good deal. I will be showing more of my work....and like I told Ed...here in Cali...we call it Art......LOL

...I've been doing file-work for 8-10 years now, and it averages out to about $2-$5/an inch is what I've been making...
at an hour + per inch...(mind you,I am filing finished,hardened knives made from D2 etc...)
I'm gonna HAVE to raise my prices...to at least $6/inch! ;)

Hey crazy guy! I would up them prices..........remember, charge for the lights you use, the electricity, cable if the TV is on.......LOL. Ya, I have heard what you did....$20 to $40 that was in the 90's... There are not many file guys left I guess. At least not like the guy I knew. People wanted his work.....but now we have lasers and computers to do the work. Still there are some M.S. who want the good stuff.........>??? I am striving. Maybe I can start filing Hatchets........know anyone???
:35:

.....but now we have lasers and computers to do the work.
I don't know they got machines doin' the file-work man,
the only file-work I've seen is hand done stuff,and as for fewer file-guys,from what I've been seeing,there are more makers arriving every year than the year before,and more makers are getting into file-working their knives...
The Knife Community is growing all the time,and skills are being passed on in an unprecedented way,
and it's because of places like this!
Of all the forums I've visited,none offer the tutorials KnifeDogs does,in such a personal manner...
and that's just one of the many things I love about this place!

Back