Ordered my NWG Plans but hard to find steel locally

J

Jdickert

Good evening,
Well i finally ordered my NWG plans and am currently scouting local places that might sell the steel I will need. I found some reasonable prices online but shipping is a bear. Does anyone know of any good steel stores in the Chicago area? Admiral is one option but it is a fairly long drive and i called a few welding shops but they really did not have. any recommendations from other local knifemakers.

Thank You

I'm not from your area but have you tried scrap yards ? There must be a few in a place like Chicago.

Rudy

Just look for 1.5, 1.25 and 4" square tubing. If you are welding it you don't need all the straping and bolts, just some C clamps.

Thanks for the replies guys. There is a scrap yard not too far from my house but the place is a rip off. I went there a while back looking for some springs to forge blades and the price was outrageous, could even tell me if the coils were from american made vehicles.

I will try Speedy metals as well as a metal shop not too far from the house, although i am not sure they take small individual orders

Back