It's Getting Chilly Up Here

James Terrio

Cold enough to walk on the water! Angie took this a couple hours ago, about a half a mile from the house. Being from Tennessee, she finds it a little odd to see people out fishing in this weather :D

IMG_0707 - Copy.jpg

She's doing well so far. Then again, it's only gotten down to about 20 degrees, she ain't seen nothing yet! I took her to Fleet Farm and got her some good wool socks, gloves, warm hat etc. ;)

It is 28 here this morning and snowing but nothing sticking. Maybe you need that heater after all.

Pretty funny that y'all have more snow than me! The only actual snow cover left around here is on the lake/river itself, and on the ski hill down the road, because they suck water out of the river and "make" snow with it. It looks really cool at night when the slopes are lit up and the snow cannons are blasting away. I'll try to get some pics up for you guys soon.

I was gonna say - where's the snow. The lake most ice fish at here is always covered with snow too. Just out of curiosity - how thick is the ice in the picture?

I ask because before I moved here, a friend and I visited Lake Louise in Alberta. We walked out into the middle of the lake with about 10000 other tourists, brushed the snow off the ice with out boots, and promptly decided walking on a frozen lake was the stupidest thing we had done to date and left. I laugh because the ice was probably several feet thick and now I fish on ice that people start fishing on at 4-6" and inviting me when it's at least 8". Usually be January it will be 18" thick.

Just out of curiosity - how thick is the ice in the picture?

I have no idea, I haven't been out on the lake yet. You'll notice there's no vehicles in the pic, although I have seen a couple 4-wheelers out there in the last few days. I generally wait till I start seeing lots of trucks that haven't fallen through :D

Later in the year when the ice gets to 12" or more you'll see some ice shanties that are almost like hunting cabins. Generators, TVs, heaters, the whole nine yards. Some folks really go wild out there.

Keep that cold weather up there! Or at least give us enough snow to cancel school :)

We don't cancel school on account of cold, and it takes a heckuva lot snow. Kids have to go outside for recess unless it's below zeroF. We raise 'em tough up here :D

Do they at least wear coats and gloves and stuff?:biggrin:

The smart ones do! Occasionally you'll see a new kid or tourist with their tongue froze solid to the flagpole and all the other kids laughin' an throwin' snowballs at 'em :biggrin:

I don't miss the Wisconsin winters. Y'all get used to it up there. My mom says she's only wearing a light coat out cuz it ain't below zero. BTW she can see Rib Mt. from her place and it sure is purdy with the lights up on the slopes. I'll stay in Tennessee. It's cold enough here when you have to work outside all day, worse when you're in a ditch fixing a broken water main.

Pat

I agree, it's 7 here and about -2 windchill and I hate to do outdoor plumbing this time of year.

How do they dig up north this time of year? The ground gets frozen pretty deep here at times. I was told they use heat blankets to warm the ground up for digging graves and things that can't wait.

At least when it gets down to single digits and below you can drive and get around on the snow better. It's the couple inches of icy stuff when the temps are around freezing you can't stand up on.

Patrick, I totally agree with you. I lived a number of years in southern Wisc. and northern Ill. and, while I enjoyed it, I wouldn't give you a nickle for the winter weather. The last year I lived in Ill., we got 98" of snow. Makes me cold just thinking about it.

Cliff, I used to have occasion to visit New Hampshire in the winter and it always tickled me to see in the obituaries a nice piece about the recently departed followed by 'to be interred in the spring'. The snow was several feet deep on top of frost that went to four feet plus.

Carey

Well... kind of. I can't pretend that I love it, lol. My wallet clenches up every time I hear the furnace kick on!

FWIW, My mom used to cringe at the thought of turning up the heat. A friend told me about Average Monthly Billing (levelized billing).
For those not familiar with it, the utility company takes the current usage, adds the previous 11 and takes the average.
It makes the monthly bill within a few dollars all year long. You spread your payments out and don't take such a hit on the
heat in winter or electric in summer.

Anyway, that's what we do. Just makes it easier to stay more comfortable.

Yup, they call it the Budget Plan here. It does make it even out over the year so you don't get hammered in the winter. :thumbup:

If it was just me I'd set the thermostat at about 60 and wear long-johns till May... but the daughter and woman won't go for that.

Back