The Art Deco Explosion!

Fred Rowe

I don't usually attach names to knives; but in this case I make an exception.

The blade itself is made from half a billet of large cable, mixed with 4600-E powder. Burton Harruff, of Burton Cutlery and I had made up two large canister billets that were made using 3 inch round stainless tubing, two inches high. The 1 1/2 inch cable was placed in the can like little sausages and surrounded by 4600-E powder.
We had finished the first billet and had it drawn out; while the second one heated in the forge. For some reason we had forgotten to leave a weep hole along the welded caps. After the can had expanded beyond its limits, it exploded, which, after our hearts started back up, Burton and I decided it was time to take a lunch break and gather ourselves. We were both pretty rattled.

As to the art deco reference; the billet reminded me of that period; with the faceted pattern on the blade surface.
I tried to make the handle and guard with the art deco style in mind. Don't know if I succeeded but that was the focus.

The handle is double dyed box elder burl with a silicon bronze guard, water buffalo ferule and black G-10 spacers.

The knife is just under 16 inches tip to tip.

Thanks for L:biggrin::biggrin:king, Fred

DSC00841.JPG

DSC00833.JPG

Do that again and Homeland Security will be visiting. Have you got the mess cleaned up yet and re-lined the forge? Has Burton changed his drawers yet?

Wayne,

We thought someone had shoved a 12 gauge through the door and let loose at us. It shattered the satenite lining and I had to rebuild the surface. Sometimes life smacks you right square in the face before you figure it out. We learned real quick that day.
I think Burton tossed the shorts; blew a hole through those too.

Fred

Glad no one was hurt. I bet it scared the bejeebers out of you. That handle material had me stumped on what it was until I read the description. That one will sell quick I think.

Back