Robbing parts out of a production knife

BRad704

Would it be considered cheating to use the liner lock, clip, pins and pivot out of a knife I already have? I still want to make the blade, change the handle shape and use something of my own for scales.

I don't really see any problems with this, I just wanted to get some other thoughts...

I don't see a problem with it. It's no different than buying pins, pivots, etc from a supplier.

As a member of the Knifemakers Guild, I like their definition of a handmade knife, simple and to the point. "The Guild recognizes that the term “Handmade Knives” is difficult to define and subject to varying interpretations, but hold that, at a minimum, it requires that a maker personally grind, forge, or knap the blade, and honestly disclose how each component is produced."

However, I do think the more you do yourself the more respect you earn as a knifemaker.

Thanks Mike... I am really still ONLY getting started with fixed blades and am not really ready to start making every little piece for folders yet. Although my dad did mention last night that his Benchmade has seen some hard days and wondered if I would make him a new blade to put in it... I can't remember the name on the backside of the blade, but it used an ambidexterous "bar lock" and has a black tanto partial-serrated blade.

I digress... Thanks again, and I agree with the core definition of making/grinding your own blade.

Hmm... I found what looks EXACTLY like dad's knife, but his blade is 440C (and I remember because I said it outloud to him) and its got someone's name on the back of the blade. (Mel Pardue)...
Griptillian Tanto with green handle/black blade...

http://www.benchmade.com/products/553

Last edited:
Thats how I am making a christmas present for my dad. Personally folders are far to complex for me to design from scratch at the moment. Hopefully in the future though.

-David

Back