Question

Coyote_killer2013

I've got a sort of dumb question for you guys. What makes a knife "tactical" or is that just a word used to make it sound more interesting?:les: Thanks

In my opinion, a knife is tactical when it's intent and purpose is other than hunting, art, or historical significance. This basically leaves combat, defense and offense weapons. Military use, camping and bushcraft knives as well as several styles of Everyday Carry's (EDC) all fall into this popular category. Make it look mean, square up the edges a little bit, add some grippy g10, carbon fiber or cord wrap and you are in the realm of "tactical".

I think of "task specific" when I think of the tactical knives I make. You may not like their purpose, but you will agree that in the proper hands they will perform as designed. Look at a Coye Ridgeback, a George or Curtiss folder, a Barker or any of a dozen other makers on this site and "tactical" explains itself. I truly appreciate and own all types of knives (about 250 pcs now) and the technical and mechanical beauty of a fine tactical equals the flowing lines and artistic beauty of a sweeping bowie or drop point hunter.

In firearms, it's the difference between fine shotguns and full blown spec'd out 1911's. I for one, want both.

Just my opininion, for what it's worth.
Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
there IS an element of marketing to the term "tactical" though:
from my observation, there are many,MANY "Tactical" designs out on the market that ain't any different than other 'Utility' designs.
The thing is,"utility" carries the connotation that it's a Work knife,and lets face it,generally there ain't much glory in work...
Now, "Tactical" elicits images of Navy Seals gliding through the black waters on their silent and deadly way to dispatch the enemy on the beach...

:)

If you are skinning a deer it's a skinner. If you're skinning a tango it's tactical. Or something like that.

Well said Steve. I racked my brain on how to best describe "tactical knife" in my opinion and though multiple images immediately popped in my head I had a hard time developing the words to describe what I was thinking. I do believe that far too often the word "tactical" is used to describe a knife. Oftne times the knife is nothing more than a scrap of metal that someone had no better intent for so that decided to put an edge and a handle on it and try to market it to mall ninjas.

In my opinion, any knife can be categorized into the "tactical" description depending on its intended use. Though Ernest Emerson is widely credited with the development of the "tactical knife" (a well deserved recognition), many other blades throughout history have fallen into the same category, the kiridashi, tanto, sgian dubh, and even the bowie to name a few fall into this description given thier time in history. A tactical knife is any multi-purpose knife intended for either self defense or military application.

A tactical knife is any multi-purpose knife intended for either self defense or military application.

That is what I think truly describes (NOT defines) a tactical knife.

And anytime I see the word Tactical, my brain tells me to be wary of "tacticool" varieties... Just looks at some AR or SKS accessories and you start to see what is "tactical" and what is "tacticool"

Back