What's your coolest DIY/Homemade tool,gizmo and/or piece of equipment?

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
Whether you made it yourself,someone made it for you,
or you bought from someone,
let's see your homemade/DIY gadgets,gizmos, "3rd Hands" and stuff!

now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
Nice,simple and handy as heck...
hm,kinda like me! :)
That's a real nice set-up Calvin,
would you mind if I copied that?

One of my most usefull homemades is the knife vise. 2nd and 3rd are my homemade forge (no pic) and homemade 2x72 grinder (no pic) that keeps me from switching attatchments on my bader.

Picture 018.jpg

Almost forgot......I make my own file guides too.

Rudy

Last edited:
198215612OQdjyX_ph.jpg

The Boss like this.:3: Homemade surface grinder.:les:

Last edited:
Mine is a screw plate. I have a 1/8 piece of 1095 with different screws size tapped in it. Ever try to grind down 2-56 screw for a folder.

I made a 25 ton hydraulic press and an in-line treadle hammer.

Attachments

• press11.jpg
    press11.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 74
  • treadlehammer1.jpg
    treadlehammer1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 97
We built this dual end buffer for 60 dollars a while back. I wanted the motor up high so I didn't have to bend my old knees when changing pulley positions.
Works great!

These are great threads where folks can get inspired to build something new for their shop.

Thanks for starting it, Fred
scan0002_001.jpg

Calvin - my friend Lynn put together a horizontal grinder like that and loves it - I think he got the parts here: http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/em-page1.html ... but I think he scrounged up his own motor.

I cobbled together a press (of sorts) by adding on to a 20 ton wood splitter - lacks finesse but sure helps out!
ForgePressConversionKit.jpg

ForgePressFromAbove.jpg

and a couple of minutes with a wrench and it's a wood splitter again!

And I'll share a link to our local club's last meeting where Wayne Goddard spread out a bunch of his favorite jigs & clamps:
5160 Club December Newsletter
- scroll down to the 2nd & 3rd pages (PDF document)...

...man,I cannot wait to get into a place where I can start putting together a real shop...
you guys have really lit a fire for me!!
Thanks for playin'! :)
It was Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop book that motivated me to post this,
and once I'm situated and start putting things together,I think I'll start a WIP thread of anything I build from scratch...

Thanks Mike,I somehow missed your WIP on that!
(and I added something there for you; DIY $30-ish milling machine/s!)

now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
Nice,simple and handy as heck...
hm,kinda like me! :)
That's a real nice set-up Calvin,
would you mind if I copied that?

Copy it if you want to, I created a hybred of several diffrent ones I had seen. Call me if you have any questions.

Calvin - my friend Lynn put together a horizontal grinder like that and loves it - I think he got the parts here: http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/em-page1.html ... but I think he scrounged up his own motor.

I cobbled together a press (of sorts) by adding on to a 20 ton wood splitter - lacks finesse but sure helps out!
ForgePressConversionKit.jpg

ForgePressFromAbove.jpg

and a couple of minutes with a wrench and it's a wood splitter again!

And I'll share a link to our local club's last meeting where Wayne Goddard spread out a bunch of his favorite jigs & clamps:
5160 Club December Newsletter
- scroll down to the 2nd & 3rd pages (PDF document)...

I got my tensioner/tracking assy. from Beaumont, also the drive wheel. I use Bader small wheels so I made my own small wheel holders. I made everything else except the motor and controller.

Back