Found my lost knife

maxcutter03

About 2 1/2 years ago, July 2008, when making the move from Washington to Texas, I lost a knife. It was my knife that I had made for myself.
We flew down to Dallas from Spokane and rented a car and looked for houses in the Dallas area and drove to my dad's in La. for a visit. While in Louisiana, somehow my knife wound up on the side of the road and stayed there for over a year. About a year ago an old man found it and has been using it for ever since. His son-in-law called me up yesterday to tell me he was interested in my knives. Then he proceeded to tell me the story about how his paw-in-law found this knife on the side of the road in Lafayette. It cut like no other knife he had ever owned. The knife was my Trail Skinner pattern with CPM-154CM steel, 416 dovetailed bolsters, green linen micarta scales. The sheath was decorated by my daughter. I really don't think the old timer knows what he really has. He just knows the knife he has, has held an edge for a year and is still going strong.

Getting my name off of my makers mark he googled me and the son-in-law called me yeaterday. After seeing the knife in action the son-in-law ordered two knives, one for himself and his father

I was hoping that whoever found that knife would appreciate it and use it for what it was made for. I felt this was a story worth telling.

myknife.jpg

Last edited:
That is very cool...
a great story,but even better,your lost knife found a good home.
Every Good Knife should have a Good Home :)

I just might have to toss one of my knives by the roadside if it would help with orders!

What a GREAT story! :)

I just might have to toss one of my knives by the roadside if it would help with orders!

Curt,I just had a look over at your gallery...
...I live over here at Renz Rd and Newcastle Avenue,Parksville,B.C.(Vancouver Island),Canada...
feel free to toss one of those 3 Finger prototypes along the road near my place any day!!!:biggrin:
Brother,you make some sweet,clean,and slick knives!
edited to add:
heck,just tell me where you live,and I'll hitchhike there and scour YOUR road for a 'lost' knife!!

Last edited:
Marvin,
you make really nice knives,and the finish is fantastic!
Oh,and that Snakebite of yours is ooooohhhhhh baby....beautiful!!!

Marvin, great story. My father lives in Lafayette, I'll ask him if told my brother-in-law and not me about a found knife?
Dozier

Thanks Ironwolf.....

I don't let a knife out of the shop without a mark on it. The way the whole thing played out still amazes me. I do plan on making me another one just like it. This time I will try not to loose it.

I always say "Everything happends for a reason".

Ironwolf, here are a few pther pictures of that snakebite.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

That's a beautiful dagger,and the dovetails are a fantastic touch.
Did you find that snakewood hard to work with?
I have a bit left from a 1/4 round I bought a couple years ago, and it's full of splits and checks.
(which the ebay seller didn't tell me about,and wasn't evident from the pictures)
I find it brittle,and hard to get nicely book-matched scales from.
(I've pretty much trashed 1/3 of the round I bought trying to get some scales with clear figure
like yours).

Back