cutting out a blade question

zbq

Since I don't have a portable metal band saw, what is the best way to cut out a blade from 1/4" O1 flat stock?

I have a variable speed jig saw that I can put a metal cutting blade in but it jumps up and down pretty bad if the blade binds even slightly. I have a bandsaw for wood but I was told that I can't use it because it runs at too high of a fpm.

I use an angle grinder to get close to the outline then finish it off on the grinder. Not the easiest solution but it seems to work.

I use a cut off wheel first to cut out shape (air die grinder or cut off wheel on angle grinder). then a 4-1/2" grinder to make it roughly to dimension. finally shape it on belt grinder.

You can use a drill,and drill around the profile of the knife,
then use a hacksaw to cut it out.

God bless,Keith

You can use a Dremel with fiberglass reinforced cut off wheels. It takes a while and you'll go through a couple or so wheels but it allows you to get pretty close to your profile. O-1 cuts pretty easily this way.

With the methods below, do you have any trouble with edge hardening since it gets so hot?

I do have an angle grinder and a Dremel tool.
The one thing I worry about when using cutoff wheels like that is
getting the wheel in a bind and it shattering.
I saw that happen once and a piece of it embedded itself in the guys forearm. :34:

I use an angle grinder to get close to the outline then finish it off on the grinder. Not the easiest solution but it seems to work.

I use a cut off wheel first to cut out shape (air die grinder or cut off wheel on angle grinder). then a 4-1/2" grinder to make it roughly to dimension. finally shape it on belt grinder.

You can use a Dremel with fiberglass reinforced cut off wheels. It takes a while and you'll go through a couple or so wheels but it allows you to get pretty close to your profile. O-1 cuts pretty easily this way.

Using a cut off wheel with a dremmel or angle grinder will work, just rember to wear your PPE (Personal protective equipment ie. long sleeves, gloves, eye protection, respirator). Be sure to make light passes with the wheel to avoid binding and do not use the "lock switch" to keep the power running. In the event that the wheel binds, you want to cut power ASAP to avoid possible injury.

You're in the right neiborhood, check this out....it's much safer than dremel wheels.

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong link, but anyway go with drilling the perimeter like already mentioned.

Rudy

Last edited:
Back