Carpenter XHP

DLBrothers

Anybody done any experimenting with this? I've got the spec sheet but figured somebody had already tinkered with it and I might ste...:les:, borrow from their experience:biggrin:

I've got 4 ready to HT -I was planning on 1900 20 min, cryo, 500 1 hour x2 - any suggestions otherwise?

That ht is on except skip the cryo.

I have been experimenting with this steel for almost a year now. Just got off the phone with their metallurgist and we discussed cryo. He said don't do it just get the rest of it right and that you'll sacrifice toughness doing cryo on top of a properly treated blade.

You'll get around 61-62 harness at tempering 500 for 1 hour

You'll sacrifice some toughness but this stuff gets scary sharp at around 400 and the hardness will be around 62-63.

I've decided around 450 is where I will temper XHP from now on.

I'm going to go ahead and make some finished knives with it now. The blades I've done I destroyed after HT seeing what it what worked best.

Last edited:
It's better edge holding by a pretty good margin but I don't have any percentages. Performance wise it's more like D2 than 440C and the XHP is basically a cross between the two. The XHP can be considered either a high carbon 440C or a true stainless D2.

Carpenter has a powdered 440C that is called CTS-40CP.

The 40CP holds an edge much better than some conventional 440C from another supplier. I did some comparing of that with two identical blades and when cutting heavy cardboard and rope the 40CP held a keener edge by a pretty good margin. I've got some regular 440C from Carpenter as well but haven't used any of it yet to see how it compares.

Ask Less George about the XHP, he has used it much more than I have and he had a knife being passed around and was incredible what was being done with it. I've only had enough of the steel to fall in love with it.

XHP or 40CP is my new favorite steel. I just haven't figured out which one.

It's better edge holding by a pretty good margin but I don't have any percentages. Performance wise it's more like D2 than 440C and the XHP is basically a cross between the two. The XHP can be considered either a high carbon 440C or a true stainless D2.

Carpenter has a powdered 440C that is called CTS-40CP.

The 40CP holds an edge much better than some conventional 440C from another supplier. I did some comparing of that with two identical blades and when cutting heavy cardboard and rope the 40CP held a keener edge by a pretty good margin. I've got some regular 440C from Carpenter as well but haven't used any of it yet to see how it compares.

Ask Less George about the XHP, he has used it much more than I have and he had a knife being passed around and was incredible what was being done with it. I've only had enough of the steel to fall in love with it.

XHP or 40CP is my new favorite steel. I just haven't figured out which one.

Thank you sir....I have a bunch of 440C that I am gonna play with for now before I move up a notch or 2

There's not a thing wrong with 440C if it's all you ever use. My personal favorite hunting knife is 440C as well as all my kitchen knives and the knives we use to butcher deer.

Thanks Cliff for the info, I thought I rememberd you had used some XHP. I finished one of the four yesterday and it really looks good. I was impressed with the grindability of XHP and it finished well. I did cryo mine (before you had replied) but since I am making small skinner style knives, all will be fine I believe. The finished one looks good on a brass rod and the edge was remarkably fine. I'm gonna put one through my own testing process but I feel confindent it will pass. I have used 40cp and really like it. It just seems hard to find for me. XHP is not lying around like acorns itself.... Who/where do you get your's from? What form are you buying it in - bar or sheet?

I've gotten mine direct from Carpenter and been exchanging info with their metallurgist. The problem has been they don't want to distribute small amounts and an entire mill run is three lifetime supplies for most custom makers.

The distribution problem has been solved as SB Specialty metals will be handling it. Carpenter told me last week they had a bunch almost ready for shipment and when I talked to Scott Devanna this morning he was hoping to have it very soon.

Anyone else interested in forming a gang and hijacking the truck let me know.

Thanks, Cliff. You supply the "appropriation" of the vehicles necessary and I'm in for the steel jacking.

I'll let you know when he has it and find out the contact info next time I talk to Scott, I don't know if I'm supposed to give out the # I have. I think it's his cell phone.

Let me know when SB specialty gets the XHP. It is my favorite steel period. I love this steel.
-John

I found a couple of bars of 1/8" x 1 1/2" XHP today. I should have them next week. :D

Back