12" tanto or dao blade with beautiful hamon for sale "diy"

kevin - the professor

Greetings Everyone,

I made this blade to test the ability of low manganese 1075 to form a hamon. It is a beautiful 12" tanto or dao blade. I am most interested in making swords, and I was only testing the hamon of this alloy.

Therefore, I would like to sell this blade to someone who wants to design and fit out their own knife. The blade is polished to show hamon, but has a couple of smudges that the buyer may choose to polish out. It is exactly as pictured. To reach this point required 8 hours of hand polishing, which is another bonus the buyer will receive (the tremendous amount of labor to reach this level of polish is done). The buyer may want to play with continued polish and techniques to "bring out" more hamon activity. That is part of the allure of this particular blade, there is more there.

If the buyer wants, I will include a block of maple (or a couple of slabs of maple, bocote, or walnut) and a piece of mild steel, a piece of wrought iron and two pieces of copper. This will provide the buyer with the basics to craft a custom handle to go with this blade - a custom tanto or dao kit! (mild steel guard, wrought iron bolster and butt cap, copper washers for decoration, and wood for body of handle).

bare blade (hybrid polished) = $85.00
Kit (blade as photo'd, wood for handle, material for bolster, butt cap, guard, and washers) = $125.00

please pm me if you are interested.

thanks,

Kevin

Attachments

• willow leaf 1075 w hamon 016.jpg
    willow leaf 1075 w hamon 016.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 51
  • willow leaf 1075 w hamon 017.jpg
    willow leaf 1075 w hamon 017.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 49
  • willow leaf 1075 w hamon 018.jpg
    willow leaf 1075 w hamon 018.jpg