Check this Old Craftsman Knife Out~!?

Kris Martinelli

Martinelli-Craftsman.jpg Check this out....I was so proud to find this baby. I love to restore and customize old knives. Have you more mature dogs..Cough Cough seen a Craftsman-Shrade. This is the original case and it had the original plastic brown-orange Shrade handles. Do you think if I took it to Sears they would trade it back for broken handles, LOL. What would they replace it with and what would the value be? When I saw this in an old knife shop...I dropped an easy $45 for it! I will smooth it out, do some small file work put some Elk handles on. I have never seen a knife that Sears made along with Shrade: stamped "Craftsman" I guess back in the 50's....any ideas, comments or how I should restore it??? Should I finish it and take it back to Sears???

Take Care Dogs!!!

Last edited:
That's really cool. To heck with Sears, finish it up and carry it with pride!

You may want to check ebay for similar knives/blades and see what it might be worth. A Craftsman collector would probably think that's the bee's knees.

that looks like an old (early '70's) 49er,
maybe a 499L or 499s...
(except,if I recall,they had either stag or leather stacked handles...?)

Pretty cool, I found a very small hatchet head made by craftsman a few months ago, its a bad little axe for sure , sharp as all can be and just tiny. I was amazed to see the craftsman name , awesome knife, I wonder if the warranty would still be valid?

DSCF3456.jpg

DSCF3455.jpg

DSCF3457.jpg

Not really sure how old or how rare,but never would
I take an old knife,and start doing filework on it.This is just
my opinion,{and that ain't worth much}.

I will say,good finds,on both the knife,and the hatchet.

God bless,Keith

Hey that is pretty cool. If you want to know the history on this you can go to Bernard Levine's forum page on Blade Forums and find out about it. Probably get a ball park on the value too.

View attachment 17302 Check this out....I was so proud to find this baby. I love to restore and customize old knives. Have you more mature dogs..Cough Cough seen a Craftsman-Shrade. This is the original case and it had the original plastic brown-orange Shrade handles. Do you think if I took it to Sears they would trade it back for broken handles, LOL. What would they replace it with and what would the value be? When I saw this in an old knife shop...I dropped an easy $45 for it! I will smooth it out, do some small file work put some Elk handles on. I have never seen a knife that Sears made along with Shrade: stamped "Craftsman" I guess back in the 50's....any ideas, comments or how I should restore it??? Should I finish it and take it back to Sears???

Take Care Dogs!!!

I have an old Craftsman hack saw dated 1936, the folks at Sears begged me to trade it in for a new one. No deal, still is a great saw and everything performs as it should. Just put the new handles on it and carry with pride.
Jim

I don't have the pic on this computer but somewhere I found where someone had forged blades into the ends of some old Craftsman combination wrenches. Pretty cool.

If any of you hammer-jockeys is interested, I have several mismatched Craftsman and other wrenches that are gathering dust. Drop me a line, maybe when I get home and get organized I'll post some pics in the trade section. I'd be happy to let them go for shipping costs or some handle material or something.

Hey, I found the pic :)

Attachments

• wrenches.jpg
    wrenches.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice..............very Nice............Did you have to find that handle that would fit???? Can I hand file the blade??? LOL That would look cool.

I made the handle for the little axe that I call "The Mighty Chopper" from a oak firewood round. It was something fast and easy, built to suit my needs and hand.

It would look great with file work but I was to taken back by it to even polish it up.

James that is a sweet picture would you send that to me in a larger attachment via email....

I'm gonna be on the road and busy as a bee for a few days, but as soon as I'm able I'll send you a bigger copy of that picture.
I don't remember exactly who forged those, if anyone recognizes them please let us all know so we can give credit where it's due.

Not to get off the subject of Craftsman tools...But this is an old hatchet that
belong to my Great-Great Grandfather.The name on it is ''SUPER BANKO'' MADE IN SWEDEN.

My GG Grandmother was Dutch.She came here from tne Netherlands.I have
never done any research on the name ''SUPER BANKO''.Not sure if this was
sold here in the USA,or if it could have been brought over with her and her
family.

I AM SURE IT IS NOT AS OLD AS IG'S HATCHET:biggrin:

God bless,Keith

Last edited:
Back