Posts by Mike Carter

BRad704

This is a completely stupid thread, but I have to say it because it happens everytime I am on KD...

When I see a post by Mike Carter (Hi, Mike :57: ), my brain thinks "micarta" and then I start thinking about micarta scales and how I could use them, and then I am completely lost from what I was originally reading about... :34:

Thanks for all the distraction Mike... hahahahahaaa

When Cliff Fendley and I first started making our own "Micarta", Cliff got a letter from Norplex-Micarta reminding us that Micarta is a registered trade name. Since we needed to come up with something else to call our homemade material it did occur to me to call it Mikecarta.

Instead, we decided to call it LM105. (Laminated Material made with West Sytems 105 resins.)

I laughed out loud when I saw this! Outrageous!! Hey Mike, does your wife call you Honey Mikecarta or Honey LM105?? Hope you show the latest set with the Honey Micarta you just finished!
Mark

I laughed out loud when I saw this! Outrageous!! Hey Mike, does your wife call you Honey Mikecarta or Honey LM105?? Hope you show the latest set with the Honey Micarta you just finished!
Mark

She calls me honey when she wants something. I will post pictures of the last 3 I made for you. I thought you would want to have all three in your hands first. The Bowie goes out today. I love that Micarta that I got from our own BruceM.

We thought it Mikecarta sounded enough like it they would still cry about it.

Just to inform anyone who wasn't aware Norplex sent out letters last year apparently to a bunch of people regarding the use of the term Micarta. When we got the letter the funny thing it was from a guy named Chris Crawford(but not the Chris Crawford among us knifemakers). When I called him to ask he said he had tons of people calling him up and asking if he was the Chris Crawford that makes knives. Apparently Norplex's attorney's decided they would crack down on using the term so loosely but they were mostly interested in nailing down the distributors that were selling other brands of factory made phenolic laminates under the term Micarta and the letter wound up getting sent to a bunch of knifemakers who's websites had the term Micarta on it.

I informed him (which apparently he had been informed by a bunch of other knifemakers) that were at the mercy of the distributors because we couldn't identify for sure if it was Noplex Micarta or another brand of phenolics and if he didn't want me using the term I would have to make a point that anything I buy was indeed "NOT" their material if I couldn't use the name. Apparently he had gotten the same feedback from many others. I mean if I can't use the term everyone is familiar with then I'm going to make a point not to use the product which carries that name.

I'm not referring to the stuff we make but that handles of my knives which actually have Micarta on them.

He sent me a list of distributors for Norplex Micarta and as it turns out the stuff I was using is theirs. He said anyone interested in knowing can contact them for a list.

With the progress pic's you've sent of the Bowie and the two I've received, I know the Bowie will be outstanding. I like the material too! Beautiful "grain" and it polished perfectly.
I'm with ya on the honey-do thing...

Back