Maxim oil is now selling Park #50.

busted knuckles

Lee Neves at Maxim oil just contacted me to let me know he has P#50 available. He's selling it in 5gal buckets for $16 a gal.
He is also developing his own brand of 7sec oil, although it's not available yet.
Thought I'd let you all know.

I gave Lee a call and he wants me to let everyone know that he does not yet have Parks 50, but he says he can get it pretty easily. Just in case any of you guys were as excited as I was when reading the pricing, I didn't want you to get disappointed when you found out that it can't be put in the mail tomorrow. Lee also told me that all orders made once the product is received will have to be shipped via FedEx and will be subject to their "ground shipping" pricing.

Yes, I was excited when I read the pricing as well.

Lee tried to explain the new products that he is planning on formulating (the conversation was kind of like trying to explain astrophysics to a chimp, with me being the chimp). I have invited Lee to join us here on KD so that he may explain what he is working on. Hopefully we will see him chime-in in the near future.

Last edited:
Yea Murph, I had that conversation with him too. Made me feel kinda' dumb. sorry about the false alarm, He told me he has it and he'd send me some but maybe I misunderstood.

Murph, Thanks for the clarification on the Parks. I was all set to pull the trigger this morning on some!
- Mitch

That is a great price for Parks 50!
Not trying to rain on the parade, but make sure you check on the Fed-X shipping, and see if they are going to add the good 'ol "hazardous" shipping charge! A couple of years ago I ordered a 5 gallon pal of Paraffin oil (for a special blacksmithing project), and Fed-X tacked on a $40 "hazard" charge because it was an "oil". It was an extra $40 that I wasn't counting on....and made what was a bargain, a bad deal.

Since then I have always requested shipping via UPS, which may take a day or two longer, but they don't charge the extra on quenching oil, at least not yet.

Excellent point Ed! I too am excited about the news, but there always seems to be a catch and it is often provided by the shippers. I used to get barrels of #50 and wanted to share it at my cost but the shipping hassles put an end to that endeavor. I pay around $25 to $30 dollars for 1 liter of nital etchant for my microscope work, but by the time the shippers get done with the hazardous material fees it costs me around $75 to $80 total!! It always bites to pay so much more to get the item to you than what you payed for the item itself, it makes me feel for my customers in countries who pay the exorbitant import taxes.

WOW, that is a good price. Since it's inline with this thread I thought I'd mention a couple things.

I've been attempting to do exactly what Kevin is taking about and put together a group purchase with local makers of 55 gallons of #50 and have been in touch with Parks directly. I always got the impression that Parks just didn't like knifemakers and were reluctant to sell to us when in reality they just don't sell in quantities less than 55 gallons.
They are quite happy to sell and ship a drum to anyone who'll take the entire 55 gallons.

One thing I thought was exceptionally cool was that when talking to the sales rep and I told her I was a knifemaker she actually recommended Kelly Cupples as a source for small quantity purchasing.

The cost of #50 as of 2 weeks ago is $13.29 per gallon or $730.95

Now I about had a heart attack when I used the UPS freight estimator to find the freight charge. It was something insane like $1050. However the freight quote from Parks was $84.83 shipped to my door in Melbourne FL. Due to the difference in freight from Parks and the UPS estimator I requested that Parks double check that figure to be it was correct and to the correct zip code and they confirmed it correct for me.

Oil + Frieght = $815.78 total cost to my door divided by eleven 5 gallon containers = $74.17 plus approx. $3 per bucket and $2 per lid.

Basically $80 per 5 gallons, bucket included or $16 per gallon. This is the absolute cheapest possible cost to get Parks #50 (unless you could pick it up in Detroit MI and save the freight)

Ed, I don't know if it would make a bit of difference to shipping companies but the Parks rep told me the oil is shipping code 65 non hazardous.

I'm still 4 guys short of having 55 gallons spoken for and don't wanna mess with shipping at all but if I get it put together I'll certainly post a thread with pics.

After all this typing it seems that if Maxim can sell it $16 a gallon it would be the absolute cheapest way to get #50 unless you can unload 55 gallons to locals and save the shipping cost. But a $3 a gallon for gas it seems there would hardly be any savings at all over just paying the shipping charge on 5 gallons.

Thought fellas interested in Parks #50 might find all this interesting info

-Josh

FWIW, Maxim shipped me 5 gallons of their 10 second oil from Dallas to Abilene via fedex at a shipping cost of $24 if I remember right. That's a pretty short distance, but there weren't any hazmat fees or anything.

WOW, that is a good price. Since it's inline with this thread I thought I'd mention a couple things.

I've been attempting to do exactly what Kevin is taking about and put together a group purchase with local makers of 55 gallons of #50 and have been in touch with Parks directly. I always got the impression that Parks just didn't like knifemakers and were reluctant to sell to us when in reality they just don't sell in quantities less than 55 gallons.
They are quite happy to sell and ship a drum to anyone who'll take the entire 55 gallons.

One thing I thought was exceptionally cool was that when talking to the sales rep and I told her I was a knifemaker she actually recommended Kelly Cupples as a source for small quantity purchasing.

The cost of #50 as of 2 weeks ago is $13.29 per gallon or $730.95

Now I about had a heart attack when I used the UPS freight estimator to find the freight charge. It was something insane like $1050. However the freight quote from Parks was $84.83 shipped to my door in Melbourne FL. Due to the difference in freight from Parks and the UPS estimator I requested that Parks double check that figure to be it was correct and to the correct zip code and they confirmed it correct for me.

Oil + Frieght = $815.78 total cost to my door divided by eleven 5 gallon containers = $74.17 plus approx. $3 per bucket and $2 per lid.

Basically $80 per 5 gallons, bucket included or $16 per gallon. This is the absolute cheapest possible cost to get Parks #50 (unless you could pick it up in Detroit MI and save the freight)

Ed, I don't know if it would make a bit of difference to shipping companies but the Parks rep told me the oil is shipping code 65 non hazardous.

I'm still 4 guys short of having 55 gallons spoken for and don't wanna mess with shipping at all but if I get it put together I'll certainly post a thread with pics.

After all this typing it seems that if Maxim can sell it $16 a gallon it would be the absolute cheapest way to get #50 unless you can unload 55 gallons to locals and save the shipping cost. But a $3 a gallon for gas it seems there would hardly be any savings at all over just paying the shipping charge on 5 gallons.

Thought fellas interested in Parks #50 might find all this interesting info

-Josh

Josh, I'm in for 5 gals. if it's 80 bucks including shipping.
- Mitch

In speaking with Lee, he stated that they used FedEx because they wers the most convenient and hassle free method of shipping. Though not considered "hazmat", the elevated shipping is due to mandatory "ground shipping" of the product. He also stated that UPS might possibly have a less expensive shipping rate, but thier requirements to
ship such products was quite strict (he would have to send a represenative to
a UPS hazmat school).

I've never spoken to Kelly, but I have exchanged e-mails and even ordered my Parks 50 from him. In my book, he is "Awesome". Next time I need Parks 50, I will most likely order from Lee though as it will be more convenient for me (lower cost + shorter shipping distance = savings).

Lee is sending me a 5 gal pail of his new fast quench oil he calls Duratherm 48 to try out. He'd like some feed back on what my results are. What I'd like to do is send a gallon of this stuff to a couple of you guys who have experience with other fast quench media like Park #50, houghton quench K and the like, even brine. I'd like to openly discuss our results and share them with our community and with Lee Neves.

I should have the oil in my possession by the 10th of Dec. If any one wants to try this stuff, let me know. previous Experience with 1095 would be helpful as is the ability to pay shipping on your gallon.

Here's what lee says about DT48.

"Seth;

The new oil is called Duratherm 48 (DT48). I am consistently getting 9.5 to 10.1 seconds, GM Mag. quenchspeed on chromized nickel balls( round robin, using 2 balls). That should correspond to a very low to mid 6 second quench on a nickel ball(+/-). Our industry rarely uses Nickel and has been using chromized nickel for its durability for many years. CrNi is predictably slower. DT48 has a viscosity of 46-48 SUS @ 100F. DT 48 exhibits a Flashpoint of approximately 280F (open cup).

This very low viscosity quench oil is recommended for use in an open quench system with adequate agitation (slow to medium; never use air ). The quench speed should be very fast but less severe and more uniform than that of a brine quench. The work-range of the oil should be 50-120F. Remember, the flashpoint is about 100F lower than 8-10 and 10-12 second oils, be careful with agitation as well as guard against water contamination. "

That's great news Busted.
For the comparison, maybe Kevin Cashen and/or Ed Caffrey would oblige us. Why not start at the top of the experience ladder. I'm interested in the results. Can you give us price per 5 gal ?

Rudy

funny you mention Kevin and Ed, they are both on the very top of my list, but I wouldn't ask them. I think they are both busy men.

As for the price I'm not sure, but I do believe it'll be very reasonable. He gave me 5gal. for the price of shipping, which is why I'm giving some away. I feel I owe it to him to get results from more makers than just myself. and three gallons is plenty for me.

I'm interested in the results, but I feel I do not have enough time or experience under my belt to make an honest judgement
and no way to test rockwell.
We need another person that has experience to test.
I was just getting ready to send Lee a quick email to check on the progress of the quench.
Busted Knuckles I'm glad your on top of things, I do not want to just rely on parks 50 even thou we have another supplier.
Please keep me in the loop regarding the new quench.

Back