Keith Willis

Is there anything I can use to fill in
the deep grain,on Purple Heart?
Is the wood to oily to seal with something
like CA ?
Thanks for any help.

God bless,Keith

Not an answer to your question but:
This last weekend while visiting with a woodturner in Atlanta we were talking about Purple Heart and that it oxidizes and turns dark. The woodturners have learned that after finishing it rub it with 50 spf coppertone and it will stay purple. Duh, it keeps the infrared rays from getting to the wood.

I was just looking at some purpleheart the other day but didn't know how to take care of it so I passed. I'll be watching thi thread for more tips.

Thanks guys,Wayne,who would have ever thought it.

James,I have several feet of it,and already have it on some
knives.I have used it on a few give away knives,and have not
had any problems.These are a couple that are sold,I am
hoping someone will have some advice on closeing up the
deep grain....Well see
Thanks again,

God bless,Keith

Thanks Sean,I'll give that a try.

Delta,if James knows some big secret,maybe he'll PM
me and let me know.LOL

God bless,Keith

The only secrets I know can't be discussed on a family-friendly forum :D

Delta may be referring to Bruce Bump's method of finishing walnut, with lots and lots of applications of oil, sanded down and letting the sanding dust/slurry fill in the pores, because I've said many times I'm a fan of that. If not, I'm as stumped as you are!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

And if you want it to stay purple you can do it with spar urethane which will build/fill quicker.

Sorry that I didn't get back and answer yesterday I thought I might get a rise out of James:biggrin:

Yes Sir.
Start with 320 to 600 grit and use the spar as you would water when wet sanding. Sand to make up the slurry to fill the voids and wipe off excess with you hand, to leave the voids filled. Let dry sand smooth and recoat if needed, if not apply you final finish.

NOTE: this finish will not change the color of the wood.

Giving you a trade secret? LOL

Kieth I love PH.... I am a purple heart man through and through. I burn it on knives....file it, it is a very oily wood and the trick for my use and to finish it is: sand it down to at least 1200 grit wet or dry and then I use Mcquair's rubbing compound (Car wax) then buff it just like a car to clean it out and then put on a few layers of of a strong carnuba wax. Turtle or Mcquair's Then buff it out again..don't let it sit to long or dry like on a car.........put it on rub it off!!!! No joke. PH is a favorite of mine on knives!!!

Hope that helps. PS and I guarantee my wood work for life!!! Cause I know I won't live that long!!!

Back