2011 Central Florida Hammer/Knife-In Information

Josh Dabney

Ok Dogs, We've got the details worked out for the 2nd annual Hammer/Knife-In.

Here's the info-

2nd Annual Central Florida Hammer in/Knife-In

We're doing it again. Last year we had about 24 attendees and the feedback we got was that everybody learned something and had a great time. We've already got some great demos by accomplished makers lined up and a couple more in the works. If you have a skill that you think would make an interesting demo or have a request for a demo, feel free to post it here or PM me. We're going to limit the number of attendees to 30, if it reaches that point. The Hammer in/Knife in is open to CKG and Florida Knife Dog forum members and their friends. Josh Dabney is posting this at Knife Dogs.

Experienced makers will have the chance to show what they can do and folks that have never made a knife will have a chance to try some forging or other skill with help from experienced makers.

If you're traveling too far to return home Saturday night, you're welcome to camp on Todd's property and there are hotels about fifteen minutes away in Mulberry and Plant City.

When- February 26th & 27th 2011 - this date is not going to change, rain or shine.
Where - Hosted by Todd Fischer at his shop, 8825 Pritcher Rd. Lithia, FL 33547 Please feel free to visit Todd’s website - www.fischercustomknives.com

Schedule of Events: (tentative on the demos – we’re going to try to arrange them to coincide with the knife build)
Saturday February 26th
1. 9:30 to 10:00 am Meet and Greet, coffee and donuts.
2. 10:00 to 11:00 Demonstration: Todd Fischer - Forging ladder pattern Damascus. See for yourself how Todd got all those scars on his arms...
3. 11:00 to 12:00 Demonstration: Stan Wilson –Profiling a blade blank and creating and fitting dovetailed bolsters. Stan does everything to perfection - here's your chance to see how he gets it done. www.stanwilsonknives.com
4. 12:00 to 1:00 Lunch Break
5. 1:00 to 2:00 Demonstration: Grinding bevels and tapering tang
6. 3:00 to 3:30 Demonstration: Fitting handle scales
7. 3:30 to 4:00 Demonstration: Alan Folts- Anodizing Titanium www.foltsknives.com
8. 5:00 to 6:00 Demonstration: Heat treat and etch Damascus
9. 6:00 to 7:00 Demonstration: Final assembly and finish
9. 6:00 to 7:00 Dinner
10. 7:00 on Campfire, social hour, show and tell

*We have learned from experience last year that completing the Hammer/Knife-In knife can easily extend into Sunday

We'll be doing a joint build fixed blade knife, as the day goes by, similar to what we did last year. This year's knife will be a full tang knife with bolsters. We'll start with Todd's Damascus and volunteers will build the knife, just like the last one. Volunteer or follow the knife through design, bandsawing, profiling, surface grinding, fileworking, hollow grinding, drilling, tang tapering, preparing handle scales, etc. As many of the demos as possible will be done on the joint build knife. The finished knife will be raffled off on when it's finished on Saturday or Sunday. Last year, it was interesting and educational to see how the different makers approached their parts of the build and the end result was a beautiful knife that had a lot of hands in its creation.

Sunday February 27th
1. 10:00 to 11:00 Demonstration: Rob Gardner- Basic blade forging with hammer and anvil and advanced blade forging on the power hammer. Rob is a master at his craft - don't miss this one!

11:00 to 3:00 Open shop:
Sunday will be HANDS ON day for attendees who are interested in trying something new or honing their skills under the supervision of more experienced knifemakers. This is what it’s all about! Knifemakers helping each other learn new techniques and improve their skills. We'll provide lunch.
1. We’ll have the forges running and attendees will have the opportunity to do some hands on forging while getting assistance, tips, and tricks from seasoned veterans of the craft
2. The grinder will also be available for attendees who wish to try their hand at grinding a blade.

Things to bring: safety glasses, gloves, folding chair, beer for the campfire social, knives you'd like to show off, knives you're having problems with, knife making tools and materials you'd like to sell or trade. Last year, some of the guys brought anvils and they came in handy – if you have a forge and/or anvil, we encourage you to bring it.

Registration Information

Registration will be conducted in this thread at www.customknivesandguns.com -

http://customknivesandguns.com/ckgforums/showthread.php?t=33424

Please post in this thread that you’ll be attending and make note of any guests that will be attending with you.

If you are not already a member of www.customknivesandguns.com please register with the forum. It is free to sign up and it’s a great forum.

Cost: The cost of attending this event will be $40 per person pre-paid. This fee will be used to cover the many expenses of holding the event such as- Propane, electricity, steel, belts, food, beverages, port-o-john, and other consumables used throughout the weekend. Any surplus money will be donated to CKG.

Please mail your registration fee no later than February 7th to: Todd Fischer 8825 Pritcher Rd, Lithia FL. 33547 or contact Todd for Paypal info.

KnifeDogs were extremely well represented last year so lets do it again ! Woof Woof :biggrin:

Take care everybody and I'll be looking forward to seeing you all again or metting you for the first time -Josh

Last edited:
Hi Josh, still tryin to get my s#$^ in order so I can make it. also wanted to bump this thread .....

One last bump for the hammer-in thread

We've still got room for another 7 to 10 guys so don't be bashfull now.

Cary- I'll be seeing you real soon buddy !

Macleod- I hope you can make it this year. It would be a bummer to miss it !

Take care, Josh

Todd has recieved a few questions reguarding attendance and paying the registration fee so we thought we'ld update so we're all on the same page.

Attendance- What if I can only make it one day ??
All are welcome to join us even for one day if thats what their schedule allows. Also anyone attending one day only will only be required to pay 1/2 the registration fee.

Ooops, I forgot to mail in my registration fee, what now ??
We do understand how easy it is to get busy and just plain forget something like this that has been planned so far in advance. Our main purpose in going with a pre-paid fee was so Todd wouldn't have to fund the entire event out of pocket.

Todd assures me that we're in good shape with the fees that have been paid so we're leaving the choice up to the indivudual to either go ahead and send their registration fee or pay in person at the hammer-in.

These were the two questions we thought we should answer for everyone to avoid any confusion or someone missing out because they can only make it for a day.

On a side note, we would like to encourage folks to bring along a favorite desert to share at the evening meal.

I'll be seeing you all very soon !

Take care and safe travels, Josh

Back