Big Smitty Service Member Knife Build Redux (Picture Heavy and Long)

Big Smitty

OK, I am going to do a kind of WIP with pictures for my knife build. This is unedited and no names have been changed to protect the innocent, namley me. Here goes:

Here is the blank as recieved. I decided to drop the tip a bit and take some of the belly out of the edge side.
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010001.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010003.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010005.jpg

Here is the blank after removing the material at the tip and clean up
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010008.jpg

After clean up a double line is scribed at the top and bottom edge for grinding the edge and swedge. Tracy's marking rig is an awesome tool to use for this, I just got mine and love it.
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010012.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010013.jpg

Next the grind lines are added to the blade. The Starret marking fuild is awesome. There are 2 lines because I decided to raise where I wanted my grind line.
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010018.jpg

Here is the completed blade after rough grinding. This one was hollow ground with an 8" wheel. Swedge was added free hand on the flat platen. Swedges are a real challenge free hand.
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010024.jpg

Here is where things get interesting. After the rough grind with a 60 grit belt I go to 120 and then to a 100X Norax. I work to thin the edge down from about the 1/16th" that I had with my scribed lines. Well I am not a super experienced hollow grinder and I made the mistake of getting to thin on my hollow grind. I ended up ruining the blade to the point that I could move the metal at the edge and about a 1/4" back with my thumb. It looked OK, but it was a dead blank. Lord I appologize and I hope ya'll won't kick me out of the club! So say good bye to the provided blank....
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010027.jpg

Now what to do... I wrote Murph a IM telling him about my crime and I then decided to make a new blank out of some 1 1/2" O1 I had. His design didn't exactly make the fit onto the O1 so I had to leave off the jimping he had and the thumb ramp. I replaced it with jimping from a checkering file, but other than that we are real close to origional design. Here it is after grinding:
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010028.jpg

Here are some other pictures of the final grind and it is ready for heat treat
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010037.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010032.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010036.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010033.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010034.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010029.jpg

So now I am pretty much back to where I began with a almost the same blade in O1 and yes this one is flat ground:biggrin:. I humbly hope that this blade is OK for the build and the powers to be will except my Service Member Knife Build Redux. I have to work out heat treat since it is a different metal, but that is something I can handle through a friend if it can't be done by Brad at Peter's.

More pics to come after heat treat.

Hmmmmmmm, should we take a vote as to rather or not to kick him out of the club guys?

I didn't hear any responses when I asked so I guess you get to stay in. The blade looks good to me and I'm sure that some lucky servicemember will be dang happy to have it Paul.

Paul,

I agree with these guys, WAY-TO-GO keeping after it amid adversity !!!!

I would suggest to you that all is probably not lost with your A2 blank though. Some folks may say getting the edge too thin is a mistake but I like to think it's an oppertunity for a "Design Change" . IMHO 3/16" is a nice thick piece of steel and the blade is pretty wide for a knife this size so profile 1/4" off that thin edge and it'll thicken right back up.

I actually took a heavy 1/8" off the edge side of my blank before I started on the bevels just because I wanted the blade profile a bit thinner than original.

Got your O1 lookin good !

-Josh

The final Knife

Here are some more pics and the final knife...

How it came back from Peter's Heat Treat.
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010002.jpg

Straight from heat treat I rubbed this one with some mobile oil and sand paper. I had it pretty clean going to heat treat so it didn't take much to clean it up.
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010004.jpg

Here is the blade after clean up and grinding with a 100 norax belt and then working it on the scotchbrite belt.
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010009.jpg

Finally the finished blade etched dark to knock down the glare.
MilitaryKnifeBuild2010016.jpg

MilitaryKnifeBuild2010025.jpg

Back