shocking grinder

How bad is the shock? With the cooler weather, it is likley static electricity. First thing I would check though is any and all power connections (especially the ground wire).

Static?? If so, it's because of low humidity in the shop, especially if your grinding synthetic materials. Once the humidity gets less than 45%, the static starts. It's always worse in the winters around my shop. During the winter months here in Montana, I usually have to run a humidifier in the shop to keep the static shock down.

Yes it is like a static shock I can see little arcs from the metal on the grinder to my fingers. Yes the humidity is lower that normal.

I have used anti-static spray on the backside of the belts and it helps some. I have also ground with vinyl gloves when it was really bad.

Last edited:
When the static gets bad on my grinder I use a static cuff like computer repair people wear. It grounds you to the grinder, so no more shocks. You can do the same thing with a piece of wire and two alligator clips. Clip one to the grinder the other to your watch. Jess

I use Static-Guard in the spray can. As the gridner is running, I spray the back of the belt. A good coating will last me about 30 minutes and I can feel the little static shocks start to come back.

The humidity here is normally brutal but as it gets cooler, the humidity drops.

When the static gets bad on my grinder I use a static cuff like computer repair people wear. It grounds you to the grinder, so no more shocks. You can do the same thing with a piece of wire and two alligator clips. Clip one to the grinder the other to your watch. Jess

Wow!Not sure exactly what you are talking about,but the thought of
something around my wrist,then connected to the grinder,scares my bad
Be careful.

God bless,Keith

Back