Random photos from the Boise Knife Show

Burl Source

Forum Owner & Moderator
This past weekend I was at the Knife Show in Boise Idaho. It was one of the most fun shows I have attended so far. Sorry about the poor photos. My wife came down with the flu or something on the way there so she had to stay in the hotel room for the weekend. So many people were asking about her that I am beginning to think people might like her more than me.

When things would slow down I would sneak away from my table and do a little looking around. These photos were taken when it was slow so it makes it look like there wasn't many people there. That was the only time I could get away from my tables. Most of the time there were a lot of people wondering around.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I tried to get some photos of friends from previous shows and the forum. Like a dummy I forgot to write down names and that sort of thing. Maybe you will recognize some of these guys.

John Doyle was awarded Best New Maker, I really like the knives he makes. He is one of the guys from the forum, aka countryboycansurvive.
4.jpg

Mike Quesenberry (right) had a landslide with 3 awards. Some of the cleanest and most comfortable knives I have ever seen and held.
5.jpg

Bruce Barnett was there from Australia. Very friendly and makes really nice knives as well.
6.jpg

Here are some more shady looking characters.

This was one of the few times I was able to get close to Bruce Bump's table.
7.jpg

If I am only able to get one really good chef knife in my lifetime, I want to get one made by Michael Rader. It's pretty obvious why they gave him the MS rating.
10.jpg

Les Voorhies seems to be one of those guys who everyone finds easy to talk to. Nice guy and really nice knives.
11.jpg

These were the last 2 photos I took before my battery died.

One of Bruce Bump's knives.
8.jpg

Matt brought some killer ivory. The second one down was almost a dark royal blue in color.
9.jpg

All in all it was a very very enjoyable show.
I was able to meet in person quite a few of the guys from the forum. The knives the different makers brought were amazing. Dave put on one of the best organized shows I have ever been to. I was even able to drive my van inside the building next to my tables to unload everything. They had made arrangements for a discount on room cost with the Marriott. What a nice room. $65 a night for a suite of rooms with a full kitchen, living room, seperate bedroom and bath, plus 2 tvs. Bruce Bump had me beat though. His suite had a tv and phone in the bathroom as well. I can't wait for next year in Boise.

Dang, I'm jealous! Looks like lots of fun indeed. Sorry to hear about your better half. Maybe the downtime was good though? So how did you do with your wood? We are, of course, waiting for those after show blow out specials!
:tt2: :paypal::tt2:

I have to thank every one who put this show on and came out on a misty, dull weekend. This was a great show. The people there are great. I learned a lot, met a lot of great people and had a lot of fun. Thank you for all the knife makers that came from all over the world. This was great!

Thanks for the pictures.
I wish somebody would have gotten a picture of the crowd on Saturday afternoon but we were all too dang busy. What a show. Next year should be even better.

Dang, I'm jealous! Looks like lots of fun indeed. Sorry to hear about your better half. Maybe the downtime was good though? So how did you do with your wood? We are, of course, waiting for those after show blow out specials!
:tt2: :paypal::tt2:

It wasn't too bad for the wife. Our room was like a luxury apartment. Sales of wood made this my best show yet. When I got to the show Dave gave me an extra table at no charge. I still brought a ton of wood that I was never able to put out on display. Seems I always bring about 3 times as much as I need. It will take me a few days to get back organized. After that I will post some stuff for a blow out sale since my next show is not until spring. Plus, when I got back there was a big box of koa and walnut that came back from stabilizing.

Bruce is correct when he said we had a really good crowd on Saturday. The other 2 days were good as well.

Last edited:
This is great!
You have a good eye with the camera;
heck,when you were at Bruce's table I got...bruce-bumps!:biggrin:
But,I didn't see any pics of your table!
:confused2:
Glad you had a good show,and thank you for taking the time for pics!

This is great!
You have a good eye with the camera;
heck,when you were at Bruce's table I got...bruce-bumps!:biggrin:
But,I didn't see any pics of your table!
:confused2:
Glad you had a good show,and thank you for taking the time for pics!

The very 1st photo showed my tables at the far right. I was so focused on laying out as many blocks as I could that I failed to notice how boring my tables looked. I need to build some sort of displays for the future shows. One of the most fun parts of the show was getting to meet so many of the forum members. There were quite a few at the show.

holy burl!!
What are those big slabs on the end,closest to the camera?

Right before I left I cut up a buckeye burl and a spalted maple stump into slabs. I usually try to bring stuff like that because the other suppliers will buy as much as the knifemakers. The more suppliers at a knife show the better. They are not competitors, just more customers.

This show there were not a lot of other suppliers so I brought most of the big pieces back with me. Now I will have to cut them into blocks and send them to K&G for stabilizing. I am thinking about dying some of the spalted maple and buckeye. Any suggestions on colors?

One of the forum members brought me some curly hickory. He gave me a good price so I will be able to sell it pretty cheap. Super hard wood with cool figure.
Here is a photo of one of the boards. Kind of hard to see how nice the figure is. I am thinking about messing around with some dye to see what happens.
h001.jpg

Last edited:
I'm partial to natural wood,
but sometimes a deep golden brown stain to augment colors is nice,
and I have seen some dyed "smoked" maple that was really sweet,
and some jade-green,and some cobalt blue that was impressive...

Back