Need Help-AISI 5150 Steel for Knives?

Kris Martinelli

Have any of you Big Dogs heard of using AISI 5150 steel for knives. I talked to a local man that commented on 5150 steel to use for working with knives. He stated it was easy to work with and if tempered right had a HRC of 58-60. Here in Cali....5150 is a Penal Code for: "Person who is a danger to self or others"? I have never heard of this steel. Was this person 5150 and what is a good metal to start using for knife making?...Thanks Dogs

Kris

oops...don't google-n-paste when tired...
I'm not familiar with it,but given that it seems to be a suitable steel for axes and throwing darts,
I'm thinking it would be tough,but would it hold a good edge?...

Last edited:
Ironwolf....thanks for taking the time to send me the link.......I guess I will let you know. I have nothing to loose by trying it out. I am going to pick some up and start a knife. I will keep you informed. I should have some picks within the week. At least the link you sent me shows me it exists. LOL

Thank you for your reply sincerely!!!!

Kris

Friend, it ain't much but I'm glad I could help you get pointed in a direction at least.
Have fun and good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing what you learn about that steel.

I had some about 10 years ago good steel, it is similar to 5160 which is very easy to find and is very cheap. If I had the choice I would go 5160 for the .10 + carbon, unless you get it free.

Mike it is funny you said you used it ten years ago it was an older fellow whom told me to try it. I have not heard of it but I guess the old recycles around again. I am glad to here someone worked with it. I bought some before I got your note..........but thank you and Ironwolf so much for you input and helping out and responding.
In Cali 5150 is a term we use for someone who is "Crazy" "It's a Penal Code" so I thought I was getting one pulled over on me!! LOL Thanks Mike and Ironwolf.

Kris

LOL I am familiar with the Cali 5150 penal code as I use to live in the south of you in Orange county and had quite a few friends in law enforcement, I miss doing the ride alongs with them.

5150 should make good tough knives just like 5160 does so have fun and get to work :p.

Back