New hunting knife

jaysmith10

Just finished this one up. Deer season starts in the morning and if i get anything this one will get the call. Its an O1 blade with an OAL of 8 1/4" with a cutting edge of 3 1/2". The scales are green canvas micarta. This was my first attempt to but a rust blue finsih on the balde and i think it turned out alright. Any and all comments are appreciated.
Thanks for looking.
Jay

knife 001.jpgknife 002.jpg

Thanks for the comliments fellas. It gotta a little work out this weekend feild dressing and skinning 2 little does. I really like this finish. It seems to be very tuff and duragle. Thank again guys.

Thanks for the kind words. The blue on this knife is called a rust blue. After seeing a thread talking about rust blueing i googled it and found a couple of recipes for making a homemade solution. the one i tried was just hydrogen peroxide, salt and vinegar. You rub the solution onto the knife in smooth strokes and then just let it set and rust for about 3 hrs. and then boil it in distilled water the rust will turn black and then hit the blade with some extra fine still wool and do the whole process again. Its kind of time consuming but well worth it in my opinion.

Thanks for the kind words. The blue on this knife is called a rust blue. After seeing a thread talking about rust blueing i googled it and found a couple of recipes for making a homemade solution. the one i tried was just hydrogen peroxide, salt and vinegar. You rub the solution onto the knife in smooth strokes and then just let it set and rust for about 3 hrs. and then boil it in distilled water the rust will turn black and then hit the blade with some extra fine still wool and do the whole process again. Its kind of time consuming but well worth it in my opinion.

I like it!,any idea how well it hlods up?

God bless,Keith

From what I read on it it is supposed to fairly durable. I used it this past weekend to skin a couple of deer and it held up great. No scratches or blimishes of any kind showed up. So i think its gonna be a pretty tough finish?

maybe you could write up a step-by-step tutorial. the blade has a great look. i would love to see a write up, and again, it looks great!!!!

maybe you could write up a step-by-step tutorial. the blade has a great look. i would love to see a write up, and again, it looks great!!!!

Thanks again for the comliments fellas. I have a little liner lock im working on right now that i migh try this finish on as well. If i do then i will take some pics of the process and post it in the tutorial section ( I guess that would be the place for it?) If i wind up not using this finish on the folder i will start another blade with the sole purpose of posting the tutorial. And again i really appreciate the compliments.

nice knife! this one should do an exellent job at skinning and what not.

Back