Tool purchase priority list help

opiy

I am now planning on the machine and tools I need to get and was wondering what you guys think is priority. Since this is all new to me I would likely put a purchase before something and could slow down progress while saving for something else I really needed. I think off the bat the grinder would be #1 on the list? Would you guys place a kiln very high or is that something that could be waited on after other machinery? Now keep in mind I am starting from almost zero in a new shop that I have to fill. Only machine I have at the moment is a 12" Jet bandsaw.

In no real order here, here are some things I have on the list.
Belt Grinder
Kiln
Drill Press
Buffer

Yea thats it. I would like to acquire what is necessary to atleast start making something soon.

What about consumables?

Feel free to put whatever out there.
Thanks for the help!
Larry

A heat treat oven is on my list also. A lot of makers send their blades out for heat treat. I would say that an oven could wait awhile .A belt grinder and a drill press should be high on your list. be careful with the buffer. it is the most dangerous tool in the shop....

I second Jeff's advice. Anything you can do with a buffer you can most likely do by hand (wit alot of elbow grease).

A heat treat oven is on my list also. A lot of makers send their blades out for heat treat. I would say that an oven could wait awhile .A belt grinder and a drill press should be high on your list. be careful with the buffer. it is the most dangerous tool in the shop....

I third this advice, maybe you must look at a disc grinder as well.

I would probably put the drill press and a disc sander above the kiln also. Send them out for HT until you get the kiln. You need a drill press for accurate holes and you can get things really flat with a disc sander. Both important things when doing your handles.

You stated that you have a Jet band saw, is it s metal cutting band saw? You can cut wood on a metal cutting band saw, you can't cut steel on a wood cutting band saw.

Make a few blades and send them out for heat treat. Depending on the steel you use it can be tricky. This way if the grinds are less than perfect you at least know that they have been heat treated properly.

My order would be:
Grinder
Metal cutting band saw
Drill press
Buffer

Consumables:
Belts
Steel
Colbalt drills
Files
sand paper
Buffing compound
Handle material
Pin material for scales
Epoxy

Drill Press,Grinder,Metal cutting band saw,buffer,kiln.
And Chuck's list of consumables is spot on.
Stan

You stated that you have a Jet band saw, is it s metal cutting band saw?
No it isn't. I should have said that though. I also forgot to add the Dewalt Porta-band and the table for the metal cutting. See this is why I like to plan and make lists because stuff gets left out :)

I like SBuzek's priority list except for the buffer (depending on where your interest lies)

Before a buffer I would go for an extensive list of files, rasps, and sandpaper.

Some other food for thought-

Drill press- I invested in a 15" Rigid floor model right off the bat $399 plus tax
-I would've been equally well served with a used benchtop model regularly found on craigslist for $30-$40

Disc sander- Improtant tool IMHO. However, once you've got a belt grinder you can get things "CLOSE" to flat. From there a granite floor tile (Home Depot $4.00) some sheet sandpaper and elbow grease can get you truly flat.

Metal bandsaw- I got my Harbor Freight 4x6 on sale for $199 and 20% off coupon. About $160 out the door. This is a purchase I do regret (kinda). It works well and cuts fine and the price was right. However, It takes up ALOT of floor space in my garage shop and I could've went the porta-band route and got less exspensive blades and had more valuble floor space. Again I regularly see Dewalt and Millwaukee brands on craiglist for very resonable prices.

Heat treating Kiln can be low on your priority list if you want. You can send blade out for professional HT if you want. What I did and would recommend others who are serious about learning to make knives is to find a knifemaking mentor who is local (meaning within a couple hours drive). Most knifemakers will welcome you into their shop, explain their tool choices, assist you in making sound decisions etc etc etc. I found myself a local mentor 13 miles away and we've been friends ever since. He HT-ed my first couple blades for me free of charge of course. When I started asking HT kiln questions another friend an hour and a half away said hey... I've got an oven, make yourself a couple blades and come up to the house and we'll HT them and I'll give you a lesson on how to work the kiln. Now that I've been at it awhile I have an entire network of knifemaking buddies within a couple hours drive.

Pioritizing IS and will continue to be difficult, LOL. Sometimes finding a deal on a tool or piece of equipment will make up your mind for ya. Other times it'll be- I'm trying to accomplish XYZ so what is gonna save time or give me a superior end result.

-Just a few things too think about, Josh

For getting things flat, I have a 12"x12" 1/4" thick slab of safety glass that I use spray adhesive to affix sandpaper,
and it gets stuff dead-flat.
You can use both sides of it; 2 different grits.
Use it on a sheet of thin rubber to keep it from sliding around.
For shaping detail in soft metal and wood, a good set of riffles is handy,
and files...lots of files.
edited to add:
and a cheap little multi-disc CD system so you have lots of good tunes playing!
I seldom work without the music cranked...
heavy metal belongs in the shop ya know!
:)

Last edited:
Hey, Wolf, good thing I never threw out that radio I was never using.Seems like I will certainly need it when you come for that visit ! Frank

edited to add:
:)

I hear ya but I am more of the Death Metal crowd myself :) I have some speakers lying around now waiting....

I see files being mentioned alot, is there anything in particular I should look for? Brand or types?

I have a selection of rasps and double-cuts for roughing out my (wood) handles and scales,
and mill bast4rd files for cleaning up.
After that it's sandpaper.
If you're like me and enjoy doing that by hand,
Lee Valley Tools has a selection of contoured sanding sleeves for various shapes too.
But,a couple of years ago someone asked me "if you broke it down,how much do you make as an hourly rate?" ;
on a $200 knife,after materials,I was making about $4-$6/hr for my time...
So, a while ago I bought a Rigid oscillating spindle/belt sander to speed things up a bit,
and it's a great tool!!!
I just wish there were decent belts and sleeves for working metal.

I am another newbie, still trying to get all the machinery together. I started with a drill press and made a makeshift disc sander. Files and sandpaper are how I am currently doing most of my work. I got alot of my files from Satco Supply.

http://shop.vendio.com/satco/item/879197718/index.html

You have to e-mail them for a spreadsheet, but it is well worth it. I got ~20 files, Nicholson and unbranded american made, for $30 with shipping. Proper files make a HUGE difference. Don't for get a file card or a stiff wire brush.

My current plans for the next tool is to build a grinder. But thats just how my brain works.

-David

Note. I do most of my cutting and shaping with a angle grinder I already had. It takes some time not to overheat the steel but it works well for me.

Iron Wolf

Well said Music makes the world a better place and thats while i`m in the workshop

Back