Help On Personal Signature- (Engraving Machine?)

Kris Martinelli

Hope this is not the wrong place for this question: I am a newbie who does file work both hands, customize knives, re-handle knives and guns etc. I just got a call from a knife maker named Chuck Stapel? to have coffee etc and talk more about knives and my file work this week. I have only made two bench made knives but I love taking an "already knife" and making it mine? I would like to consider my self some one, some day as the "Carol Shelby" or "RUF" of knives. I can take any knife and can re-do the hole thing from ground up. New engine, new frame and a new look, LOL Two questions or problems.

What kind of machine or tools, tool would I need to lay down a signature "MK" or "KM" on an an already tempered knife?

Legally I probably can not throw down my signature on i.e a Buck 119 without their permission? or can I? And then sell it?

Mostly I need help on the Signature Stamp? What is the cheapest way to go on that one. I have put up some of my knives on my profile. Thanks Dogs!!!!!!! PS I have just come out of the closet with my knives, just last month. I put up a sight martinelliknives.com I write music but it seems I am getting more knife work than I can handle?

There are several guys out there who customize production knives and add thier mark to thier work. There's nothing wrong with signing your art. Personally, I would insure that the manufacturer's mark was not effected by my work and either mark it under the manufacturer's mark or on the reverse side of the blade. Just my $0.02.

As for your marking method, doing an etch would probably be your easiest route.

Last edited:
Thanks Murph...............for the info and encouragement and taking the time to answer, it means a lot!!! Proud to Be Here!!!

You cannot stamp into a heat treated blade.

Have a look at what Tom Krein does.

very small and unobtrusive.

Electro-etching is the most common, but look in the yellow pages for trophy shops that advertise laser engraving.

I would buy a etching machine and have ernie grospich make you what ever mark you would like. kellyw

Back