Cracked bowed basement help!

arrow-360

Hi all!
I am planning on moving back to my hometown this spring. Last weekend I went house shopping, and found the perfect house. I love it! But when I looked at the basement, three walls were bowed and had horizontal cracks. Worst wall was bowed about two inches, for 20 feet or so. The wall across from it, is bowed about an inch around 10 feet. These walls run the length of the house, and the third wall runs parallel to the joists, and is bowed about 1/2 inch, also about 10 feet. Walls are block, built in early 1900's. Outside the cement steps have sunk a couple inches next to the house, and ground slopes toward house. It is built on a sandy ridge, so the anchoring method will be out. Looks like steel beam method will work. My question is: Has anyone delt with these problems. I plan on making an offer, subtracting the cost of professionals to come in and do it, and than do it myself and save on expense's. If all else fails, I will just fill the basement with gravel, as It will not be used for anything, This is located in NW Minnesota.
Dave

I used to work for a place that did work like that before I joined the Marines.

It's a big job. If it where my house, having done that work before, I would hire someone to do it. But that's just me.

Did you have any specific questions? It's been a while but I will tell you anything I know.....

I used to work for a place that did work like that before I joined the Marines.

It's a big job. If it where my house, having done that work before, I would hire someone to do it. But that's just me.

Did you have any specific questions? It's been a while but I will tell you anything I know.....
Thanks for the response! Just the guy I need to hear from.
I was wondering how expensive it will be for a professional to do! Need to know how much to subtract from there asking price. It used to be owned by a woman that went to a nursing home. Social Service have it now, and were unaware of the basement I would use I-beams every other floor joist. Dig a foot from the wall on the outside, and push wall into place. Than backfill doing this one side at the time. If I felt uncomfortable with this, I would attach re-rod to I-beams, and pour a new wall on the inside of the old.
I can get a very, very, good deal on this house. This house is a very nice house, and worth the expense of fixing. Does this fix sound promising to you?

Last edited:
I have no idea how much it would cost... It was over 10 years ago and I was just a kid....

The fix sounds reasonable, sometimes we would jack the house up off the walls before we moved them.... It would be pretty easy for things to go terribly wrong at that point... ;)

I have no clue as to the work you guys are talking about. A couple of years ago, I spent a year studying real estate appraising. Though I chose to go a different route, I learned alot about what mortgage companies/banks look for when loaning money. If you are planning to finance the purchase, an appraiser will do a "cost to cure" included in the appraisal. This will reduce the value of the appraisal and may negatiely effect the decision of your financial institution.

If you are serious about this particular home, it may be in your best interest to hire a liscensed home inspector to evaluate the structure prior to becoming emotionally and financial invested.

Hello Dave, I may be of help, I have been in the stuctural repair buisness for quite a few years know (next year will be our 40th year) we deal with the kind of problems that you have encountered with the house you are looking at all the time. PM me with your # I will call you and help you all I can.

Mike

Hello Dave, I may be of help, I have been in the stuctural repair buisness for quite a few years know (next year will be our 40th year) we deal with the kind of problems that you have encountered with the house you are looking at all the time. PM me with your # I will call you and help you all I can.

Mike

PM sent.

Here is a picture.... Inside is beautiful! Garage on right, Perfect 12 foot by 12 foot knife making shop behind house.
house.jpg

Last edited:
If I couldn't get the cost of having a professional to repair the walls. One that will pull all the necessary permits and put a written guarantee behind their work, I would walk away! The repair can be very expensive and if not done right it will continue to be a problem. The repair needs to be done by professionals and get very expensive quickly because there is no easy fix and will eventually lead to all sorts of problems with the house! I was born and raised in Nebraska and have had a lot of experience with basement problems!

Last edited:
Back