Tang Size

BRad704

I have tried searching for some details, but found none so far...

How large is the tang supposed to be? width and length?

I have a 10" blade that is getting a cherry handle,and the tang is 3/4" wide 1/4" thick and 4" long... it fits inside the handle I made, but I don't know if its overkill and would have been just as useful to get it smaller.

Ideas?

I don't think there are any real rules around tang size. You want to make sure there is enough of the handle material that it is not brittle and you want to make sure there is enough tang to give it some strength. The 3/4" and the 4" seem about right, the 1/4" thick may be a bit of overkill but if that is the width of the steel then so be it. What does the tang do to the balance of the blade iis also a factor. There is no real wrong size I guess is the answer. What feels right to you.
Steve

I got a side-answer from Ed and he mentioned tapering the tang in both width and thickness, so that the cross section would look like a diamond that gets smaller toward the tail end of the tang. I will try that next time, but I already had my handle drilled to fit this larger tang... I spend sometime turning down this spacer and shaping the handle also... Cherry...

Next will be to make the guard and end cap and then I can start working on the grind...

2010-11-03%2008.00.15_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

2010-11-05%2007.22.04.jpg

2010-11-05%2007.21.51.jpg

2010-11-05%2007.20.55.jpg

Brad, Great looking knife! Sorry I hadn't gotten back to you. They have kept me busy this week. I am still down three commissions. Yell at me this week. I'll be in shop. You need to get a good grind on that. I make my tang 1/2 wide for an 1/2 drill. 3'' to 4'' deep on large knife.

Thanks Jim and no worries... I'll get by there soon...

Btw, I think this is my new Christmas plan since I have this thick steel. My plan is to do a flat cap with a small ball pommel and an curved guard. Hopefully I can get the guard and cap to hold some random colors from heating, but I'll be trying that out this morning at our body shop with the torch. :)

Back