hidden tang question

C

chucktilbury

I am working on the design for my second knife. It will have a 1" wide x 4 1/2" long drop point blade made from O1 tool. Stock removal. I am thinking of making it a hidden tang with a stacked leather handle. I am wondering how to attach the stick to the blade. I want to use a mild steel 1/4" rod so I can thread the end. I plan to cut a slot in the blade part for it to seat in. I could try to stick weld it, but I would prefer to braze it, since that will probably make a neater job of it. I do not really have the stuff I need to forge weld it. (I think) I would love to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!
Chuck Tilbury

The tang really should be part of the blade, even if it is a short one. Where the blade meets the handle is a high stress area that needs strength. A short tang can be extended a number of ways by adding more steel, rod, or even chain. Depending on the handle material, a short tang may be all that is needed as long as it is pinned to the handle.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?4316-No-Weld-Butt-Cap

Check out Mike's tutorial. It's one of many ways but a good idea. Just think it through to see if it would work with the tang width.

Rudy

Thanks Rudy,

This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind, only making it about 1/2 to 3/4 the way to the butt cap and brazing it to add strength. I really only need the last 1/2" or so to be threaded. Now I see that maybe I could thread a hole in the butt cap instead of using a nut, making it more simple.

The handle will have a oval brass quillion (no bolster) and butt cap with stacked leather and felt between. I am planning to impregnate the felt with slow cure epoxy before assembling and using epoxy between each layer of leather. I will make it so that about 1/8" gets ground off on all sides to make the finish surfaces.

That brings up another question: what should I use to seal the leather and then polish it?

Thanks,
-=chuck=-

Thanks Rudy,

That brings up another question: what should I use to seal the leather and then polish it?

Thanks,
-=chuck=-

http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.php?80-Tutorials-of-all-kinds

It's in there someplace. That cat's been skinned a few different ways. Personally I soak my washers in polyurethane under vaccum a day, let dry, shape the handle up and finish coat it in ca glue several times. Buff lightly with a clean buff or shoeshine method works too.
Rudy

Last edited:
OH My Gosh

Wow what an idea!!! It sort of makes me feel small real quick butt that is why I am glad to be here. I am a knife repairer and customize knives with file work and exotic woods. Someday soon I can't wait to make them "Benchmade" That is a great way to fix up an old knife as well as a new knife.............thank you for sharing that!! Sincerely

Back