Book Question

WadeH

I was just given a gift certificate to Amazon for 50 bucks. So I am looking for suggestions on what book about knives or knife construction would be the best use of the money. Ofcouse, I am not real sure that they even have any good knife books. The only real knife book I have is the "50 dollar knife shop", or something like that, my brain is not working real good right now. So what would be some good books that I could get. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Wade,
I've been fortunate to have read many books on loan from other makers. I haven't read them all but I found the book "How to Make Knives" by Loveless/Barney to be the best so far to give good descriptions of the knifemaking process. This is however a stock removal book and doesn't cover tools and techniques of forging blades.

If your interest is in forging consider Ed Fowler's book "Knife Talk" or "The Wonder of knifemaking" Which I believe is by Wayne Goddard (But could be mistaken)

Also, there is the chance of finding DVD's on Amazon, I think. If so I would reccomend S.R. Johnson's "How to Build a Sub-hilt Fighter. This video is excellent but doesn't cover heat treating.

This is just my suggestions/opinions based on the material that I've personally read or viewed and there are many titles that get rave reviews that I have yet to see.

IMHO the Loveless book and S.R. Johnson video will benefit knifemakers of any interest or skill level.

-Hope this helps, Josh

A couple of choices I would choose would be 500 Knives and Knives 2010. One good book also would be the Blade's Guide to Making Knives. The later shows many very good knifemakers demonstrating how they make the knives they are famous for and the equipment used in their build.

How about this guy, Step-by-Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It! by David Boye. Amazon has this one and the Loveless book. So I was thinking of both. Could not find the 500 Knives or Knives 2010 there.

Step by step knifemaking is one that is still on my to read list but I've seen it recomended many times.

I highly doubt that you'll be disappointed with the purchase of those 2.

-Josh

dontr forget, you may find more titles in the used books,.. cover may look great, but the info is still valuable,.. all the Goddard titles, The Boye book, Blades guide to making knives-Kertzman,, the wonder of knifemaking-Goddard, the loveless book,.. and The complete Bladesmith, all can teach you a ton,.. also, get 2-3 three ring binders ,and a ream of paper, go to every forum, use the searches and surf the how to sections,, anything looks interesting-copy,paste into email ,print it,,.. now you have your own encyclopedia on knifework...

dontr forget, you may find more titles in the used books,.. cover may look great, but the info is still valuable,.. all the Goddard titles, The Boye book, Blades guide to making knives-Kertzman,, the wonder of knifemaking-Goddard, the loveless book,.. and The complete Bladesmith, all can teach you a ton,.. also, get 2-3 three ring binders ,and a ream of paper, go to every forum, use the searches and surf the how to sections,, anything looks interesting-copy,paste into email ,print it,,.. now you have your own encyclopedia on knifework...

Oh, I already copy, paste and print. :) It was just that I did this little survey and they gave me this 50 dollar gift cert. to use at Amazon, so I was looking for some good titles. I found several good ones and got them ordered, now all I have to do is wait for the post man. Thanks for all of the suggestions and the guidance it is much appreciated.

Back